Marina Propshaft to Rear Diff Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Propshaft to Rear Diff Nuts

I have to adjust my handbrake for the coming MOT and therefore have to drop the rear of the propshaft to get access. The rear propshaft flange is attached by 4 bolts. I had to do this same job 2 years ago and I changed to nuts on these bolts for new Nyloc ones. I would like to replace them with new ones again after I have removed them.. Can anyone tell me what size and type they are? I vaguely recall they were UNF... I have tried to look through my reciepts but can't find the one for their purchase from Spaldings...
    I also remember reading somewhere that it was highly recommended not to change these bolts / nuts for a modern metric size.. Is that actually the case? Could I not simply buy a comparable metric bolt / nut set and just change them - it would make life much easier for moments like this!
    Many thanks for your input..
    Last edited by element; 18-03-18, 05:37 PM.

Re: Marina Propshaft to Rear Diff Nuts

I will also be interested if anyone knows the recommended nuts and bolts for the prop shaft. Mine is all bolted back up using the bolts that I removed but being a critical part that you wouldn’t want falling off I would like to replace with new.

Comment

Well, the ones I've just put in are 3/8 UNF.
      For safety-critical areas I would not recommend substituting metric fasteners; use grade 8.8, non-stainless fittings.
      I use Namrick for most of my nuts & bolts...their mixed packs are invaluable during a rebuild.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Ideally you need a 3/8th UNF "half nut" so that the nyloc fully engages with the bolt thread.

The bolt is a 1 inch high tensile bolt with the correct length of shank don't use set screws with the full thread.

They are the same as used on a Mk2 Triumph Vitesse.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Just seen this thread so may be a bit late with my comment, which is -- When I asked for advice about adjusting the handbrake cable with least amount of trouble I was told that if you had UJs for fingers it could be done without dropping the shaft. Being a lazy b----r I went for it and by jacking the chassis up high and letting the axle and shaft drop as far as it could, I managed to do the job BUT I needed flat spanners to fit into the limited space.
          Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Unfortunately, my paws are too large to do the job without dropping the rear propshaft end & I don't really have a wide assortment of flat spanners; long thin ones would be useful and although its maybe just possible to do the job without dropping the propshaft - but I had an accident with a circular saw and the tip of my left index finger 6 weeks ago & so my home mechanics abilities are a bit reduced these days

Comment

What about access through the top of the tunnel? Probably not easy if you have a full carpet.

Comment

yes full carpet... and that would mean too much work to get near it all... Quicker to drop the prop - just waiting on the arrival of my new 3/8th nuts...

Comment

Working...
                X