Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Torsion Bar Rattle / knocking sound

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
    Is there any movement up and down on the nearside steering arm if you grab it at the inner wing end? This really does sound just like mine when my steering rack bush failed.
    There is some slight play here when I do as you suggest; the other side is more solid, however it is only slight and I think I'll glide through the MOT but will maybe have a closer look at this later on.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
      Also make sure the smaller bolt going through the reaction arm and through the bulkhead in the footwell is done up tight.
      This bolt, although not loose, did appear to have inadequate tension - I could turn it with the spanner and gave it a firm hand and both sides are good & tight (the offside one was tight).

Comment

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
        Is there any movement up and down on the nearside steering arm if you grab it at the inner wing end? This really does sound just like mine when my steering rack bush failed.
        It failed the MOT... Excessive movement in the steering rack on nearside... When I had felt it- the car was still up on blocks and after the MOT the tester showed me exactly the same area and it definitely had more movement than it had before (but this time it was on its wheels). Also rear nearside wheel bearing too.
        So I won't be taxing it this 1st April after all... Someone last year had a post about the steering rack bush and an MOT - I'll dig it out for a close read before I get stuck in...

Comment

If you need a steering rack bush Chris Weedon is your man. You should find him on a forum search or Steve Green will tell you . Ask Chris how you get the old bush out, it is easy .

Comment

It’s becoming all too common.
            Rather than repeat the advice again, please do a forum search for the solution or follow the link in my forum signature to my keepandshare archive, where you will find the complete solution.
            My advice, is not to waste your time with a recon rack. It seems they are little more than cosmetic solutions, unless someone can provide solid evidence otherwise.

Comment

It should come up on a forum search but if not c[email protected] Recon racks do seem to be chancy as the rack reconditoners appear to stock the bearing.

Comment

I've been in touch with him before (re a master cylinder recon) but I'll have a good read of everything I can find first before making any commitments.. It frustrates the hell out of me that I just paid for the insurance & it can't go on the road & won't until its fixed and that's an open question! The steering as such feels pretty tight and I don't feel any 'play' except by hand on the nearside arm - so kind of hoping its just a bush..

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                  It should come up on a forum search but if not c[email protected] Recon racks do seem to be chancy as the rack reconditoners appear to stock the bearing.
                  Missing word ‘not’.
                  One would like to think that the bushes are available in the UK, via rack conditioners, apparently not!

Comment

Cheers Steve. What would I do without a proof reader? Of course I meant 'not' . As I found out other bushes are available just not the right size.

Comment

This is the thread from when I did mine....

and I would skip to page 8 if I were you.
                      Last edited by Sidon; 27-03-18, 09:06 AM. Reason: more info
                      Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Yes, I read that last night... it was the one thread I was thinking of earlier. Useful info and probably my salvation. I need to begin dismantling mine this week to see whats what and meanwhile I've just emailed Chris ..
                        Last edited by element; 27-03-18, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X