Steering Lock removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Lock removal

Having successfully managed to remove the steering wheel, the end cup and then replaced the indicator / horn/light stem switch component and wired it all back up and tested it all... I then reassembled the whole set up and now the steering lock is playing up. I might add that 2 yrs ago the ignition key /steering lock assembly partly disintegrated at the back end where the wires entered it. I then disconnected the ignition leads and wired in a new ignition key switch on the dashboard. I didn't remove the old steering lock / ignition key assembly because the steering lock was working with the old key & felt it was an extra security measure - even if I then needed two keys to get her going.
    However, today after refitting the steering wheel, I have been up and down my wee road here and with every turn of the steering wheel I can feel it seems to be just catching something & suspect it is the lugs on the steering lock beginning to break down (they are the best part of 40 years old...). Turning the old ignition key as much as I can doesn't seem to improve it and it is still catching with each 1/4 turn.
    So, figuring that it is better to remove the steering lock completely than have it suddenly lock up on me when driving on the open road - I am looking for advice about the only way I can see to remove it... The design is such that it is fitted with 2 vertical bolts or big screws from the top into the lock assembly. Given that the only way to remove them would be a lengthy removal the dashboard - I am considering a more primitive approach..

If I were to put a bolster chisel against the lock side and then whack it with a lumphammer - I expect the lock assembly would break and fall to bits because it looks like cast metal.. So - in so doing - will this remove any means of steering locking - or would it lock up permenantly? That is the million dollar question? I'm kind of stuck in a situation where I don't see any alternative but would like to hear your opinions before I 'go past the point of no return'...

Cheers
    Tony
    Last edited by element; 08-04-18, 03:34 PM.

Re: Steering Lock removal

Hi Tony,
    Did you remove the ignition barrel and lock before or is it as it was originally?
    The bolts that hold it on are designed to snap the head off when fitting as a security feature so they couldn’t be removed by the old fashioned care thief, mine were and I had to drill them out when I had the top column off.
    I would remove it altogether but probably best not hit it with a lump hammer as it may buckle the steering column tube.
    I know this hasn’t really answered your question but I will go and have a look at mine to see if I can advise any further.
    Cheers, Martin.

Comment

I relocated my original ignition switch by making a bracket so it points forward through the dash and done away with the steering lock but looking at it the barrel is mounted below the steering column and the mounting bracket on top. You could try slowly cutting the barrel with a dremmel.

Comment

Thank you Martin, that's a fair point about the steering collumn/tube - attached below are some pics.. The first one is showing what I inherited - with the wiring end cap off the ignition key assembly. Then another pic of the current situation today. I could drill holes through it and cut between them and I have use of a dremmel tool too. I can confidently remove it - but what I would really like to know is by removing it - will I then have no locking up? I imagine the answer is yes because the lock mechanism operates onto the steering collumn - remove the lock & no more locking mechanism.. I just never like walking down dark alleys if I can't backtrack out on meeting a problem..
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tony, by removing the barrel all together you won’t have any steering lock. When you remove the key from the ignition a small tab springs out of the barrel towards the steering column and when you turn the steering wheel slightly the tab springs into small cutouts in the column. The locking tab is part of the barrel so you will be safe to remove.
          Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Hi Tony,
            Did you remove the ignition barrel and lock before or is it as it was originally?
            The bolts that hold it on are designed to snap the head off when fitting as a security feature so they couldn’t be removed by the old fashioned care thief, mine were and I had to drill them out when I had the top column off.
            I would remove it altogether but probably best not hit it with a lump hammer as it may buckle the steering column tube.
            I know this hasn’t really answered your question but I will go and have a look at mine to see if I can advise any further.
            Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Not sure why it has just duplicated my previous message.

Comment

Perfect, thanks...

Comment

Angle grinder worked for me.
                  Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
                  X