Roadster Weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster Weight.

That sounds a very pragmatic solution. Unfortunately the influence of the EU spoilt a sensible state of things here and home-building is now impossible as far as I know in continental Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
      Mine was done on the china clay works weighbridge so I know it was accurate. Spare wheel, half a tank of fuel , 1800 engine and box. I noticed that at my MOT station last time that when on the brake rollers it showed the weight of each axle but forgot to make a note. Now got the Fiat engine and box in so it will be slightly different from the 1800, up or down , I don't know. Must pay more attention next time.
      Weight will be close to 50-50 - that's kinda the point of a Marlin :-)

Comment

I finally got around taking my Roadster to a weighbridge as I was somewhat puzzled by the range of weights others had come up with. So here it is Mk 2 Roadster SWB with MGB engine and overdrive gearbox. Less driver but with half a tank of fuel, tools and spare coolant etc 780 kgs.

Comment

My short wheel base Roadster came in at 750kgs. I had it weighed back in the nineties after I had fitted the Fiat engine and gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher.bogue2011 View Post
            My short wheel base Roadster came in at 750kgs. I had it weighed back in the nineties after I had fitted the Fiat engine and gearbox.
            So it looks as if 750kgs to 780kgs is the normal range for Mk2 Roadsters. Light enough to give a respectable power to weight ratio.

Comment

Good enough got the MOT man, but by the time you put a driver in the seat, I’m my case, it makes a considerable difference, and the weight is all on one side.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi All
                My Mk2 SWB Roadster passed it's MOT at first attempt on Saturday I asked the MOT tester what my car weighed expecting it to be a bit heavier than 740kg . It has a 1.8 Marina with twin su's with a standard 4 speed box. It's has 5 Alloy wheels(185x70x13). So including the roof, 4 roof bars bars ,solid framed sidescreens, a rear tub compartment door( made from heavy mdf with a lock), with just under 1/2 tank of fuel and it has Aluminium framed front 1/4 light windows and chrome rear bumper and including a toolkit with small bottle jack he reckoned it weighed 920kg. The cars fully trimmed with carpets and has wood on the top of the doors to match the wooden veneered dashboard.

Which I was very suprised at tbh as with all my extras I was expecting it to be under 800kg.

I personally don't think his scales are very accurate lol.
                Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 25-06-18, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Worth looking at these two links to find your local VOSA weighbridge. MOT tester will find it hard to argue if you get a certificate though you may have to pay for the privilege.

MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I got my weight tested at a nearby scrap metal company and I think it was only £5.00. Apparently there are coin operated VOSA weighbridges which are unattended. There is one outside Shoreham Airport on the A27. A second opinion might be worth it as that seems a lot
                    of extra weight although I suspect it may not be much different.

Comment

I've occasionally been asked by the tester what the weight is and I've always given an approximation (LWB roadster + 5-speed box) of around 800kg...never been queried.
                      The last time I asked the tester what the actual weight was the answer was c.880kg, with a 47/53 front-rear split, which included the c.80kg tester.
                      So I suspect the figure you've been given includes the tester as well...was he on the large-side..?!
                      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

"So I suspect the figure you've been given includes the tester as well...was he on the large-side..?!"
                        He was approx 6ft 2" so maybe 100kg max as he didn't look overweight

Comment

Well just Mot'd mine today although in theory it doesn't need one.
                          On the brake rollers, front axle 358kg. rear axle 456kg. John the tester said he weighed about 85kg. and as most of his weight is over the back axle that would bring the back axle weight down to approx 376kg. so a total of 734kg. with roughly a 50/50 split
                          When I weighed it on the china clay weighbridge it was 740kg. so close enough.
                          The reason, and this was confirmed by talking to two testers, was that insurance Co. will be looking for some form of mech test that it is roadworthy to cover their backsides.
                          So that's two separate places confirming the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                            Well just Mot'd mine today although in theory it doesn't need one.
                            On the brake rollers, front axle 358kg. rear axle 456kg. John the tester said he weighed about 85kg. and as most of his weight is over the back axle that would bring the back axle weight down to approx 376kg. so a total of 734kg. with roughly a 50/50 split
                            When I weighed it on the china clay weighbridge it was 740kg. so close enough.
                            The reason, and this was confirmed by talking to two testers, was that insurance Co. will be looking for some form of mech test that it is roadworthy to cover their backsides.
                            So that's two separate places confirming the weight.
                            Exactly as I found.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Which engine and gearbox do you have in your 734-740 kg Roadster?I agree that insurance companies will want proof that the car is roadworthy , however the MOT only covers the day it was tested unless of course it's rotten.

Comment

2l Fiat and 5 speed box. MOT or any other roadworthy test obviously is only 100% true on the day but it gives the ins. co. some cover.
                                Just out of interest, I have a larger fuel tank, approx 47l and it was 3/4 full.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by h_m_cumming; 04-08-18, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X