Smiths Speedometer problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smiths Speedometer problems...

The speedo drive is side mounted on the gearbox & withdrawing it away from the box - it only travelled maybe 1/2 way out before it ran out of space... It was never designed to be in this situation & its just a cul de sac... no way out but the same way in..

Comment

If you remove the prop and gearbox mount and gearbox supported on a trolley jack you may be able to push it to one side to give you enough room to remove the drive. How much space is the between the gearbox and tunnel? It should move under tension from the engine mounts.

Comment

I found out pretty darned quick that a drive cable will only handle torque in one direction. They must tend to tighten the twists. My short flexible screwdriver gizmo unwound and had to be binned while trying to take out a screw it had just screwed in. Doh!

I think that means it would act as a downward Archimedes' screw pump (I think I need to look at one to confirm this).

Admittedly the small torque for a speedo may not cause a similar problem.
        Paul

PS: I got a feeling some cables are layered and wound in both directions to avoid the same problem.

Comment

Ok, decision made.. refit it all as it was before and run this summer like it. If the speedo fills with oil again so be it - I can always clean it again.. However, when its off the road and in the garage from October I'll cut the extraction hole and remove the drive and replace it during the winter. So next year it'll all be fine. There would need to be at least an inch more movement from the gearbox to remove the drive - I doubt I'd get that from dropping the propshaft etc.. besides... the sun is shining up her a lot this year and I'm missing out on adrenalin

Comment

Working...
          X