• ignition coil

Hello
    can you tell me what ignition coil for my marina-based roadster
    merci

Re: ignition coil

marina 1300

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MARINA-1300-1700-1800-LUCAS-IGNITION-COIL-DLB102
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

thank you
        what a difference with DLB101

Comment

The DLB 101 coil is for a 12volt feed the DLB 102 is for a car that has a ballast resistor feed to the coil providing a 6volt constant feed that is bypassed to provide a 12volt feed on starting the engine.
          A DLB 101 has a resistance across low tension side of 3ohms and a DLB 102 has a resistance of 1.5ohms.

If your car has a single wire to positive connection on the coil which either "White" or "White and Yellow" its a 12volt coil if there is a second wire that is "Pink and white"
          that is the ballast resistor wire and the coil should be a 6volt coil.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I have a thread on the +
            I need dlb 101 or dlb 102?
            merci

Comment

If I understand by "thread" you mean 1 wire to + then probably a DLB 101

But to make sure use a volt meter(multi meter) to check the supply to the coil.
              As I have explained(sorry I can only do English)above.

DLB 101 is for a 12v feed
              DLB 102 is for a 6v feed.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                The DLB 101 coil is for a 12volt feed the DLB 102 is for a car that has a ballast resistor feed to the coil providing a 6volt constant feed that is bypassed to provide a 12volt feed on starting the engine.
                A DLB 101 has a resistance across low tension side of 3ohms and a DLB 102 has a resistance of 1.5ohms.

If your car has a single wire to positive connection on the coil which either "White" or "White and Yellow" its a 12volt coil if there is a second wire that is "Pink and white"
                that is the ballast resistor wire and the coil should be a 6volt coil.
                Ben beat me to this post but a further word of warning based on experience of my classic car club member. If you fit the DLB 102 without the ballast resistor the car may go very well for a while. However a very hot / burnt out coil and burnt out contact breaker points will very soon be the result. Peter.

Comment

A thorough read of the wiring diagrams available in the V9 BL manual for the Marina, available here or there, will reveal that any ballast resistor is an ‘Optional item or fitted to comply with special market requirements’.
                  It appears with a little more digging that this is more likely for Export markets or those where emission controls were required, pointing towards cold climate or US vehicles. So not generally fitted to a standard UK car.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I realized that the polarity of the coil was reversed
                    Does this pose a problem?

Comment

It can be a problem, yes. Here or there
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by kolmershlagjp View Post
                        I realized that the polarity of the coil was reversed
                        Does this pose a problem?
                        In theory it should be avoided. However when I recomissioned my Classis car some years ago I forgot that it was wired positive earth and connected the coil with the wires reversed by mistake. The car was then driven to Monte Carlo and back without a problem. After the error was corrected the engine seemed to run better, but that may just be my imagination. Peter.

Comment

Thank you for your answers
                          I measured the coil it is in 12v 3ohms
                          i ordered a lucas coil dlb 101
                          I will rectify the problem of polarity of the coil
                          merci

Comment

Working...
                          X