Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page  Click here to sign up

Thread: Marlin GT6 Based

frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar

Marlin GT6 Based

I think I've seen this one for sale a few times over the last couple of years, in varying states of build. But I could be wrong!

This one not listed in the gallery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173648651517

s-l1600-16.jpgs-l1600-15.jpg
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

forum contributor

Re: Marlin GT6 Based

Sadly, the side metal plates added plus the front one are not very pleasant to see + a respray might be needed, but the electricity work done might increase a bit the reliability.
    As a newby, I am wondering if the sides of the motor covers are the original one and if the marlin logo in front of the radiator was originally not there on this model.

frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar

The Marlin logo was always an extra.

I suspect that this one didn't originally have doors as the hinges don't look standard and the engine sides were plain.

Not all Marlins were ordered with doors and shark fine vents on the engine sides.

The wing kick plates look like the chequer plate used on Land Rover wings.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by leklek View Post
    Sadly, the side metal plates added plus the front one are not very pleasant to see + a respray might be needed, but the electricity work done might increase a bit the reliability.
    As a newby, I am wondering if the sides of the motor covers are the original one and if the marlin logo in front of the radiator was originally not there on this model.

forum contributor

thanks for the infos, I guess it means it is impossible to find spare logo.. I think it brings a little something to the car look...

Maybe possible to manufacture one in stainless steel plate by finding a school workshop equiped with laser cutting machine.

adding doors has certainly been a challenge!

I hesitate a bit as.. on one hand there are minor things to rework, but on the other hand, there are not so much marlins on sale in this period :-)

frequent forum contributor Club Member

Try traceing this to a bit of brass sheet, enlarge or shrink to suit. I soldered a couple of brass screws to the rear to mount it.

I should also add that I have a friend who gold plated it for me, saves a lot of polishing.
    Hugh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 28-11-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: addition

frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar

Pm me I have a spare I would be willing to part with

Adria

Quote Originally Posted by leklek View Post
    thanks for the infos, I guess it means it is impossible to find spare logo.. I think it brings a little something to the car look...

Maybe possible to manufacture one in stainless steel plate by finding a school workshop equiped with laser cutting machine.

adding doors has certainly been a challenge!

I hesitate a bit as.. on one hand there are minor things to rework, but on the other hand, there are not so much marlins on sale in this period :-)

frequent forum contributor Club Member Blue Marlin's Avatar

I ordered one from Marlin a couple of years ago. It was around the £35 Mark.
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

forum contributor

well for now, I will see when I will pick up the car (long trip to France), if by any chance there would be a box containing a logo given with the car :-)