Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page  Click here to sign up
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trials Marlins

regular forum contributor Club Member

Re: Trials Marlins

The marlin I run is a long wheelbase model we have modified the steering arms (shortened by 1inch)to tighten the turning circle which has made a big difference on some of the tighter sections

frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar

Are you allowed a knob on the steering wheel I assume twiddle brakes are a no no??
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

administrator Club Member

Just to say on behalf of the silent majority I am very much enjoying this thread.
    Paul

regular forum contributor Club Member

Yes you can have a knob on the steering wheel the fiddler brakes are used on classic(sporting) trials car not on production car trials car
    Last edited by MarkG; 09-12-2018 at 03:14 PM.

frequent forum contributor Club Member

With regard to improving steering response on a MK2 Roadster, fitting a 10" steering wheel improves things a lot and the steering isn't noticeably heavier as a consequence.
    Doing this mod has an added bonus resulting in more leg room which helps get on and off the brake pedal more easily.

Like Milliemarlin I also find this thread interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what are fiddler brakes? Speaking as magazine editor it has been a long while since I had anything on Marlins in trials so some sort of article would be great, whether it be a report on a trial or something technical regarding the cars them selves. Something to think about?

Moderator Club Member

I believe that they are individual hand brakes allowing the driver to 'lock' a spinning wheel so allowing drive to be transmitted to the other . Acts like an LSD but only with driver input.
    I'm no expert so if anyone can put me right please go ahead!

frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar

The ones that I have seen at The Exeter Trial were on cable operated brakes. There was a separate lever outside the body with no ratchet. Pulling the lever operated the rear brakes and pushing it forward operated the front brakes, using additional cables linked to the brake levers. I believe hydraulic systems use the same principle just with extra master cylinder(s).

Cheers for that Tony, I know Feb 19 is a bit away yet but I have been on The Fellside website and it doesn't mention geographic locations. I would like to go and see what happens first.
    Dave.

frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dogoncrazy View Post
    I believe that they are individual hand brakes allowing the driver to 'lock' a spinning wheel so allowing drive to be transmitted to the other . Acts like an LSD but only with driver input.
    I'm no expert so if anyone can put me right please go ahead!
    Allowed on some classes of trials car, fiddle brakes is a system of two hand levers that operate the rear brakes independently side to side the art is to know which wheel is spinning.
    http://www.austin7club.org/thetrialscar37.htm
    Last edited by b_caswell; 04-12-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!