No announcement yet.

Does my Marlin have a sense of humour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my Marlin have a sense of humour?

Our other car is having a dent repaired so the Marlin is our only vehicle....

So yesterday the ball fell off the ballcock in the header tank in the loft (There must be a joke in there somewhere). So I needed to get a replacement. Usually I go to Screwfix about 6 miles away, but would the Marlin start. Nope, engine turned over but no sign of life. So I walked 2 miles to a more expensive builders merchant and purchased a new ball and ballcock, fitted it then went in the garage and the car fired up immediately.

Today I got in the Marlin to go to the Henstridge 5km Parkrun. Didn't start again, so I went for a run from home. Got back, then went in the garage and the car fired up immediately.

Is it playing jokes on me?

Re: Does my Marlin have a sense of humour?

Marlins certainly do have a wicked sense of humour. Keep a “FORE SALE” sign in the car to counter these wayward tricks.
    Paul

Comment

Hi Chris
      The Ford Zetec's with a standard ECU don't like to be started after switching off unless the cars travelled 2-3 miles minimum. That is because the extra fuel pumped into the engine ( like running on a choke on carbs) via the injectors on the warm up cycle will effectively flood the plugs if switched off and then you try to restart it.

The fact that after leaving the car for a while and then it starts is perhaps because the excess fuel on the plugs may have then evaporated .

I note you have an Omex Ecu. So I can't be certain that this is the cause with that type of set up.

However giving the following a try may assist you:

1) When fitted in the original car . they was a flat braided earth wire strap that went from the cylinder head to the metal bulkhead. In your car ensure it is still present and is currently connected to a good earth. This helps with the intensity of the spark and overall running of the cars engine.

2) When you have to restart the car after switching off before travelling 2-3 miles. Before cranking the engine over, switch the ignition key on and wait until you hear the fuel pump buzz to prime up the fuel rail. If it isn't heard , switch off the ignition and then back on again.
      Then crank over the engine.
      Once it starts, take the car for a spin and allow the engine to warm up fully, so as for the plugs to clean up before switching off. Then allow the car to go cold for at least 3 hours . The next start on now clean spark plugs should then be much easier.

3) There will also be no harm in cleaning the MAF (Mass airflow sensor) with some brake cleaner , as oil vapour from the cars breathing system causes it to be covered in a fine layer of oil and it then sends the wrong signal to the ecu , which can cause the car to run rich. This will increase fuel consumption and also the general running of the cars engine.
      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 05-01-19, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Ye Ol Ripper,
        Thanks for that.

1. I may try running an earth directly from the engine to the battery.
        2. When starting I always wait for the fuel pump to prime, it runs for about 5 seconds.
        3. The Omex ECU doesn't use a MAF sensor, just throttle position

I don't think its flooding, there is not a smell of petrol.

Meanwhile the other vehicle has returned so I've backup transport now

Comment

Just a thought...

Possibly insufficient cranking enrichment, exacerbated by the cooler weather...when you come back to the car within an hour or 2 residual fuel from the previous attempt is still present, offsetting the issue and allowing it to start..?

I remember I had no end of issues getting an Emerald to play nicely from stone cold and increasing the cranking enrichment helped. Cold-start mapping is a real PITA...one reason I went back to carbs..!
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
            Just a thought...

Possibly insufficient cranking enrichment, exacerbated by the cooler weather...when you come back to the car within an hour or 2 residual fuel from the previous attempt is still present, offsetting the issue and allowing it to start..?

I remember I had no end of issues getting an Emerald to play nicely from stone cold and increasing the cranking enrichment helped. Cold-start mapping is a real PITA...one reason I went back to carbs..!
            That thought did cross my mind, it has been about 0 first thing and has warmed up to about 2 when I have had my second attempt. I'll try the extra earth tomorrow and then if that fails email Omex, who seem to be good at getting back if you have a problem.

Comment

With my Omex and Zetec set up I used to check the pump was working and the fuel rail was up to pressure by waiting for the pump to cut out. Then I realised the pump might not be restarting when I cranked the engine. So I decided to just start the engine immediately. It does seem to start first time (except I have now jinxed it).

I have decided not to debug problems until they actually occur.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                With my Omex and Zetec set up I used to check the pump was working and the fuel rail was up to pressure by waiting for the pump to cut out. Then I realised the pump might not be restarting when I cranked the engine. So I decided to just start the engine immediately. It does seem to start first time (except I have now jinxed it).

I have decided not to debug problems until they actually occur.

Paul
                My pump is so noisy that you can hear it running when the engine is cranking over.
                But today the car started first time...
                I've a theory that it doesn't like going out when it is sub-zero

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
                  Our other car is having a dent repaired so the Marlin is our only vehicle....

So yesterday the ball fell off the ballcock in the header tank in the loft (There must be a joke in there somewhere). So I needed to get a replacement. Usually I go to Screwfix about 6 miles away, but would the Marlin start. Nope, engine turned over but no sign of life. So I walked 2 miles to a more expensive builders merchant and purchased a new ball and ballcock, fitted it then went in the garage and the car fired up immediately.

Today I got in the Marlin to go to the Henstridge 5km Parkrun. Didn't start again, so I went for a run from home. Got back, then went in the garage and the car fired up immediately.

Is it playing jokes on me?
                  It must have heard you the day before saying how well it was running! :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X