Berlinetta doors and hinges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta doors and hinges

Very recently, I came aware that my drivers side door was rubbing the body tub near the catch and taking the paint off. Investigation showed that the door had dropped at the rear end. Further investigation showed that the bottom hinge was extremely slack. So off came the door, and it was clear that the hinge pin had seized in the hinge hub and locked up. this now caused the small welds in the outer section to fail, resulting in the hinge pin turning in the thin sections of the hinge bracket and causing it to wear in a very short time, eventually this wear allowed the pin to disengage, allowing the door to drop and foul the body work. This train of thought continued, and it seems obvious that before the pin welds failed then when the door is opened, the seized up hinge pin exert a twisting moment on the door structure. This is a big long door, made of aluminium, and will quickly fail if subject to repetitive strain, and will lead to cracking in the weld joints at the inner end , which of course, is a feature of these doors. The thing to do, is to regularly grease the nipples on the hinges, or you could end up with a cracked door.

Re: Berlinetta doors and hinges

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    I had exactly the same problem Brian and my doors have cracked. Didn't go to as much trouble as you to sort it but I will bear it mind as they have dropped more than once.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Anita
      I always keep my nipples greased.

Comment

Back in your cage Anita. Have you taken your Bromide recently?

Comment

I thought it was your turn Sue!

Comment

For the Bromide?

Comment

What else ????

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mike Hammond
                Re. doors, I too have a drooping problem the hinge design is not up to the job! anybody had a go to modify the setup to cope with stress of such a long lever effect. Wilst on this door subject I have tried to come up with ideas to create more shoulder room when at the wheel, to date nothing short of revamping the door and body to ressemble the classic style configuration would do. Has anybody dealt with this problem ?

Comment

Working...
                X