Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

I'm looking for a thin, wood-effect (ideally a nice light burr finish) sheet, either completely flexible or stiff 'formica'-type to fit onto my new dash panels.

I know that walnut dash blanks are available from the likes of Europa, but (a) it needs to be thin (1mm-ish) so as not to build out the dash thickness any further and (b) I also need some to cover a lower dash panel, gearstick surround, and door trims I'm also planning.

I've tried using real veneer (birds-eye maple) but have had major problems getting it stained to the desired shade (I was originally looking for a lighter, more contemporary look than traditional walnut) and have given up on it after my third re-sanding...

Other veneers - such as walnut - tend to be in smaller sheets so would need 'butting' together to make up the 1m dashboard width; beyond my skills and too expensive to experiment with.

Formica themselves do a suitable sheet, but deal only directly with distributers and haven't answered my emails!

I have found exactly what I'm looking for (after hours of surfing), but the company is in the USA (might still see if they'll deliver...)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Dash refurb - looking for wood-effect laminate.

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Hi Donnie

I hope you are more successful with this search than the dreaded hockey stick trim! Good luck.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee Hunter
      Hi Donnie,
      We sell a 1mm thick formica fibre board that you use in fire surround back panels, these are wood/marble effect.

Comment

Hi Sue, & thanks! I might have to stop this thread when I get to 69 posts...

Hi Lee. Interesting! What styles of woodgrain are available - anything that could make a nifty dashboard?!

(Marble dash... hmmm.)

Comment

I think Demon Tweeks sell a thin wood finish laminate which is thin and designed to be fixed over a firm surface. I have lost their catalogue so I do not know if they still sell it.
          I am constantly nagged to update and smarten up my dashboard. I look forward to your results.
          Good luck Donnie.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I'm getting a wood look vinyl put down in my lounge on Friday. It's nothing to do with this thread, just wanted to share the news. Initially I thought vinyl in a lounge would (wood) be yucky but it looks ok! Honest :-)

Comment

Hi Donnie
              You could try Robbins timber in Bristol[they have a website] I've used them for boat building projects in the past.Have also come across a material called Proflex 3000 which is a veneer [80 species] on a moistureproof backing comes in 1220mm x2440mm sheets and is 0.75mm thick, problem is that I couldn't find uk supplier at the time I wanted some.Good luck in your search

Comment

Hi Dane, & thanks; I'll definitely check that out.

Hi Sue, Happy New Floor - vinyl is trendy again! I did even explore this as an option (you can get vinyl 'planks' for floors), but was really looking at a 'burl' (or burr!) type grain pattern.

Hi Alan. I'll try and find out what they have - thanks for the leads. Bristol isn't really too far away either.

Flushed with my publishing success in Pitstop ;-), I'm putting together another article (sorry, Sue...) of my struggles with this task. I'm aiming to convert my nasty Cortina instrument cluster into completely separate clocks which can be postioned anywhere on the dash (I've removed the internal workings, and I'm re-installing them in the dash with new chrome bezels and bespoke dials - seems to be working out ok so far). I'm also eradicating the nasty dash cut-outs for the indicator and wiper column stalks, the later by moving the wiper controls onto rocker switches on the dash itself, and the former by shaping a new stalk which now exits against the steering column and is actually a delight to use - my fav mod of all!

The USA company I mentioned above (autoaccessorystore.com) WILL post to the UK (they replied the same day to my email...), so I have that as an option if I find nothing nearer home.

Again, many thanks to you all; really grateful for your help.

Comment

Sue, you have made me wonder.
                  I have recently laid a large amount of laminated flooring in my kitchen. It is commercial standard. It is only about 6mm thick but very strong. I reckon that as long as the rear is waterproofed it would be strong and good looking enough to use as a dash. I will cut some up and "Test" its strength!
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane.

I don't think you'll have any technical problems using laminated flooring panels for a dash, and I think you'll find it's already strong enough and also pretty waterproof (espec. if it's not real wood).

I had certainly considered them for my dash, and the only reason I ended up dismissing them was because, despite there being some very nice wood finishes out there, I really wanted a burr-type grain.

Other than that, should be pretty ideal!

Comment

Donnie,
                      Try these guys.
                      http://www.winwood-products.com/Eng/timber-products/veneered_panels.htm
                      Veneered plywood section. Do s 1mm flexible plywood. Avon plywood are a supplier if they will not sell direct.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Europa used to do dashboard blanks with various finishes such as burr etc using a photo print finish.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

aH iVE JUST READ THE QUESTION AGAIN. OOPS.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Guys

I now have a nicely prepared hardboard floor all ready for the vinyl to be laid tomorrow (ooer!) I'm glad to hear it's trendy again Donnie. I initally thought it would be naff but am quite looking forward to seeing it complete. If I can get a decent pic when it's done I'll share it with you. The hardboard is 3mm thick and so is the vinyl so I guess if you wanted to you could wrap some 3mm vinyl over the dash? You can get some very posh looking wood-look vinyl now and it's flexible!

Comment

Hi Folks
                              I'm thinking of creating the 70's look again on the cheap with large tin of evostick, a bucketful of dog hairs and LOTS of static electricity-do you think I'll get the look I'm trying to achieve!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X