What's in a name ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a name ??

It is probably a very touchy subject that has just occurred to me. My car is an original Marlin Berlinetta but nowadays there are cars from YKC (now defunct) Javelin, Aquila and New Marlin.
    I'm very happy with the name but sooner or later the new members may want recognition of their particular marques.
    Would this commence a nomenclature war?
    Have I opened a container of wriggly creatures?

Any comments?
    Maybe I had better get back to delving in to the entrails of Henry's finest iron and STHU!..

Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: What's in a name ??

Message originally posted by: Ron Sweigh
    MaY-KC-JAM club perhaps?

Comment

Hi Dane, this is a personal view. The only way I could see this development was if the numbers of these other named cars becomes large, and if that happened then they might want to form their own club. We should I think now state in Pitstop that we welcome all products developed from Marlins. On the front cover of Pitstop we state for Marlin and YKC owners. I think we should now add Aquila and Javelin. If the production numbers of these cars is moderate then the owners may welcome belonging to a club of our size. The present market trends seem to point in this direction, but of course time will tell.

Comment

PS In my opinion a Marlin is a Marlin is a Marlin no matter who the manufacturer is! Also in the previous message I forgot to add 5exi by Marlin! sorry. I did not mean to leave out any model. Perhaps in years to come we will have to dedicate the rear cover to list all models covered! See yuo down the road Danny.

Comment

I'm totally with you Danny. In the '70s I belonged to the TR register (I know, wash my mouth out!) owning a TR2, 3a and 4a. When the TR7 and 8 were produced there was an attack of apoplexy from members who would not sanction the totally different cars enering the club. Once it was shown that even my TR4a would blow away any 7, and the owners were the same kind of car nuts as we were, the feelings subsided but rancour existed for ages.
          I would hate any such internecine war to start in the MOC.
          Accept them all, after all, what's in a name?

Comment

Check out the club constitution, No2 objectives, This may be relevant to your question

Comment

Yes Andrew, I agree. The club constitution is fine with me!

Will owners of Javelins want the N?2 objective printed on their badge to show casual onlookers why they belong to the Marlin Owners Club?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                Hi All

I'll raise this at the next committee meeting as a point for discussion. I think there is a point here. Maybe we will change the wording on the front of the mag. Will let you know if anything changes.

Cheers

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ben Committee member
                  I think Marlin is a generic term that relates toall the traditional style cars(not sure where the 5exi fits in)the club has never got into bed with any of the manufactors of Paul Moorhouses original theme.As far as I am concerned a Marlin is a Marlin regardless of which company made the kit or the car.As long as the owner pays his subs he or her is welcome to all the benefits the club offers.

Comment

Working...
                  X