i bought it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i bought it...

hi guys, i bought the marlinetta on ebay below....
    no doubt i will be posting asking for hints tips and advice especially abouit the dreaded sva test...
    would also be nice to hear from any berlinettas in the birmingham area....??

third attempt to post...left the pictures off this time...

carl

Re: i bought it...

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Hi Carl

Well done for purchasing the Berlinetta. Glad your post was accepted this time. There should be no reason why the photos shouldn't load. Are you sure you're not trying to add photos that are larger than 200K?

Test photo posted here successfully.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Carl.

Is the car you bought the one with auto transmission? I think I recall it looking like a quality build so far - you lucky dog...!

If you do a search using 'SVA' on this forum, I think you'll find around half-a-dozen other people getting their Berlis ready for the SVA-test. Seems two of the 'main' issues will be seatbelt shoulder height (needs raising) and anti-burst door locks. Then there will be a series of relatively little things like covering any exposed nuts 'n' bolts, making sure any sharp edges are protected, tidying up the wiring (I believe they often look behind the dash!), etc.

I'd have thought it would be very useful if you could all get together in cyberspace and pool your knowledge - it's wonderful seeing these cars being put together rather than ending up as spares.

Very best of luck, you lucky ...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Peter Nutter
        Carl
        Welcome, hope you know what your in for? Car looks good in photo's and I must admit your in the best place to have a Berli...Not far from Danny! You may notice from the site that Danny is the 'fountain of all knowledge' or that may be an understatement...
        I have had mine 6-7 months but she has been put away for the last 2 months.. time-money-wife..etc. However I have promised myself SVA this summer. My best advice would be get a copy of SVA and a highlighter pen and note book. Go through the site look at answers to questions and note them down it can save time and money. Everyone is very helpfull and most of all you know your not on your own.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Carl Trollope
          Thanks for the replies guys.....wanted a Berlinetta since I was so high.......
          Yes the build is 'quality'.....the guy that has done all the work so far owned a chroming factory in Coventry so everything that can be chromed is chromed..the rest is cleaned and polished.....feel a bit 'lucky' to have got it so 'cheap'.....
          Yes it's the auto one.....good for me as after a flying accident they bolted my back together with lots of titanium...unfortunately I now have a problem with my leeft leg so clutches are out.....fate that this Berlinetta should have an auto box then....!!

Have got myself a copy of the SVA manual.....so far my PT Cruiser would fail.....!! What a mad test we have to subject ourselves to.....mind you the manual is curing my insomnia....!!
          What on earth are antiburst locks.....?? I suppose one way to raise the seat belt height would be to fit a roll bar....I have access to a workshop with all the kit to fabricate one...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Peter Nutter
            Carl
            Antiburst locks are double acting fastners I got mine from Car Builder Solutions www.nfauto.co.uk Along a few other bits, I have spent ages fitting nut covers and covers on steering rack adjustment. I have also replaced the std wing supports with tublar ones which are used to feed the Side and indicator light wires down as they dont like cable ties etc. I also have had a front bumper made as the std flat stainless one is a no no.
            Also the door handles have to be closed loop (so that nothing can get caught on them as you speed past)

Any way good luck....

Peter

Comment

Thanks for the information....The shame of it is that 'good luck' is required for SVA....I also gather that it can depend which SVA station you go to....!!
              Maybe someone should prepare a 'definitive' list of all that is required to get a Berlinetta, or any other Marlin, through SVA....this could then be directly accessed through the site....better be careful here as it sounds like I may be volounteering for the job.....
              I have set myself a target of SVA by the end of August.... I get married at the end of September and the car is a surprise.....although I think I may be the most surprised if I get it finished....!!

Comment

Carl
                I may have a list of fail items for you soon as I have a test booked in for next Monday. I just hope that the list is not too long!!

Comment

Seen my name mentioned so I thought I would say hello, if you think I may be of help with anything at any time then mail, or telephone. You have not chosen an easy route to Berlinetta ownership, but there are always solutions, Good Luck.

Comment

Message originally posted by: carl trollope
                    Huw, hope the test goes well....please, please send me some words on your SVA experiences re post above.....
                    Danny, thanks for the offer of help....I may be taking you up on it.... ...I considered a 'built and registered' way to ownership but when I though about it, the car would probably never be to my liking/standards as if it were on the road....it would probably stay there and never get improved...at least this way the build will be acceptable to me....the work done aleady on this car is exceptional....all running gear is new..brakes, bushes, bearings, pads etc....the engine has been fully refurbed and dressed up in chrome as has the exhaust, brake stone guards,springs etc.....
                    The engine starts and the car drives.....V6 on twin pipes sounds awesome....maybe too loud for the SVA man....
                    All I have to do is finish it to the same standards.....

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                      Hey Carl

Are you going to join the club? The membership page is just a click away....

You get 6 magazines a year with info about the club and its activities, discount on insurance and a windscreen sticker for ?15 a year...

Comment

Yes, sure will....!!
                        Can you clarify, do I just send a cheque to the address or do I have to put details in on form...??
                        Will send cheque this weekend anyway....guess I am aboard...

Comment

Working...
                        X