Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and Silber Numberplates

Hi all,

I really like the look of the old style black and silver / black and white number plates - I'd love to fit them to my Sportster when it's finished to complement it's retro lines. However, by law, you're not allowed to fit them to cars registered after 1973.

Bearing that in mind, how is it that I'm seeing a marked increase in obviously modern, post '73 cars (Range Rover Sports, New Mini's, etc - Even Smarts!) with them? Are the owners just flouting the law, or is there a loophole? Most of the ones I've seen don't seem to conform to the normal reg layout, so I'm guessing that they're on Irish plates that don't have a year index on them...

But even then, Plod must now that the cars they're fitted to weren't made in 1973, and are therefore breaking the law.

Anybody got any ideas (or better yet, concrete facts) about this?

Re: Black and Silber Numberplates

Hi Jason.

My understanding is, quite simply, that they are breaking the law.

I think there are only two (?) fonts legally allowed for reg plates, but a quick look in any car park will reveal 1/2 a dozen cars with seriously stupid-looking poseur styles of text - I'd have thought that any bored cop looking for a few extra scalps would have a field-day.

As you probably know, to have plates made up these days requires you to show your V5 doc as proof of it being YOUR legitimate reg number. However, have a look on Ebay - you can have ANY type of plate made up quite legally just by 'confirming' that the plates are for show use only... An absurd loophole.

I think the way the law is flouted is a disgrace.

PS My, er, '75 - reg Berli looks FANTASTIC with black/silver plates ;-)

Comment

Message originally posted by: Jason
      Thanks Donnie. I too think that it's a disgrace... :-)

Comment

Having recently worked in the motor trsde, I can tell you that the cars will fail MoT testing when their time comes up.
        We had a few personalised number plates that did not follow the rules and were failed for items such as spacing, font and character size.
        The owners were rude and in between their expeletives it became clear that they thought that the garage had made the rules in order to sell new plates!

My old 1964 tractor is allowed silver/black plates but my Berlinetta is not, and yes, I do think the old plates look better!
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: Dnae
          Sorry, speeling is ni langur mi string point!

Comment

Working...
          X