Strange links appearing on this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange links appearing on this forum

does anybody know where the odd links to 'strange' web sites are coming from? and can we block them? I dont like this development, i am sure that most others wont either. (two at the top of roadsters now)

Re: Strange links appearing on this forum

Web Hosting in the US :- my post in the Roadsters section !!

Definately is the reason - they don\'t know the meaning of privacy, and will sell the info to anybody. And there aint nowt u can do bout it !!!

Also means these same spammers now have the committee members email ad\'s as well.

I once purchased some S/W direct from the US, after registering it on their website the spam started - won\'t do that again (same applies to the far east as well - got spammed from there as well).

One of the disadvantages of going outside the EU.

Perhaps the cheapest is not always the best value for money ??? - applies to web hosting as well. Not that I am saying this was why the website was moved.

Comment

You have a point Merv. Car mad kids visit sites such as ours. Would the fact that the web sites are on the MOC forum by-pass parental control settings?
      In any case we don't want these sites advertised by the MOC .
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sue

Do you have the capability to remove these unwelcome threads?
        Mike

Comment

I submit to the Yanmar Diesel forum and they had this problem. They got over it by making it necessary to register with the site using your e-address and a password. If spam came from a registered address it was easily blocked and as only registered addresses were allowed to get on to the site it has stayed clean ever since.Anyone can still read it but if you want to post a message you have to log in.
          Just a thought

Comment

I also belong to the Pajero Owners club. They have a "moderator" on duty most of the time. Perhaps it would be possible for a few of us to be placed on a rota, with limited administrator rights, to weed out unwanted posts.
            We cannot ask poor Sue to be available all the time.
            I would volunteer to be one of the happy band of weeders if neccessary.
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Registering would be a good idea, or may be a membership number (didn't we used to have membership numbers at one point ??).

I would also be prepared to be a moderator (I work some wierd hours and could be watching the forum at the same wierd times). Automated emails from the forum to moderators for every new post could be a good idea - then the first to see it could delete the "spam".

Just my thoughts.....

Comment

Message originally posted by: Annoyed
                Hi Guys

I have been away since Friday morning and before I went I deleted some dross sites, only to be informed more had appeared. I'm pretty cheesed off about it. The move to a US server has caused this and I am in contact with the webmaster to see what we can do about it.

Meanwhile, I'm usually available to delete stuff as soon as it appears but this weekend obviously I wasn't able to and it has been sitting there for a couple of days.

I'm happy for a select group to have access to the admin pages and if you would like to volunteer to moderate, please email me and I will supply you with the url and password.

I think the idea of the sign in and password is something we will have to consider now. In the past it wasn't deemed necessary but now we have been found we have to get round it asap. I also like the idea of a posting an alert to moderators and will discuss this with the webmster. We are due a meeting.

Comment

The sign in and password can be used by a non MOC member to ask questions or assistance but in the event of spam originating from their address it gets blocked. Seems to work on the Yanmar forum.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
                    Okey doke, I'll get onto this as soon as the webmaster and I can have our next meeting.

Meanwhile, Merv Daniels and Neil Ryland have become moderators and have access to edit the forum and get rid of the little scoundrels. Seems we have only been hit in the Roadsters (ooh nasty!) so far.

Comment

Another thought on this subject:

For members you could introduce an account option so you have to sign in to post as has already been said.

For guests as you\'re using PHP you could use the GD library to generate an image with a code that you have to type in before you can post as a guest - this would stop spam posts or bots filling out the forms.

I\'ve seen it used a lot on the search sections of forums if you\'re there as a guest

Patrick
                      www.msportster.co.uk
                      BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
                      http://www.modelog.co.uk/
                      http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Hi all,
                        Just a note to say that hosting the site inside the US does not make it in any way make it more open to abuse from spammers. This is an 'open' forum board and as such it was always eventually likely to attract spam. We may have to introduce measures to protect against it, but that will unfortunately mean a little more inconvenience. We are looking in to it at the moment.

regards,
                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X