Heater Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Options

Anybody out there used a different heater in their Cabrio than the recomended unit from the Sierra. I have always thought it was a large bulky unit and wondered if a late Mini unit would be better.

The unit fitted to my car had a cracked mounting lug on the heater box so I finally got round to swapping it with a replacement unit.

Spent a good part of Sunday stripping out the existing unit which underlined what a pig of a job it is and the insane amount of things that have to be taken off the car to get the unit out.

Now questioning the sanity of refiting a similar unit and considering looking at alternatives that take up less room.

Any thoughts on using the mini unit, I beleive Marlin have used it in the Sportster.

Cheers

Re: Heater Options

I made my own using the blower and matrix from the Sierra unit. The drawings are in an old Pitstop article (probably about 10 - 11 years ago - I can scan them and send them if you are intersted) The beauty of it was that I used all the Sierra plugs and sockets so everything just plugged into the Sierra loom and went giving me a 3 speed heater that is brill. I also incorporated the central heater plastic outlet control into the bottom of my dash and I am quite pleased with the look of it

Comment

Hi Keith

I would be interested in the drawings and any pictures you might have of the unit you made, you can email them to me on cocobolaATbtopenworld.com I had not really given any thought to making one.

I don't have a problem with the operation of the Sierra heater, just the size of it and its inaccessability when everything else if fitted around it.

Cheers

John

Comment

Hi John,
        Millie has a Land Rover heater. This is quite small and flattish. Simple (crude) in design and operation. Not to be recommended. Even though it is small, compact, self-contained and fits easily into the space provided you still have to take everything out to get at it. It also requires an external valve to turn it off in the summer.

I know some owners have had some success with classic Mini heaters.

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the input. The best looking solution I have seen so far is the late sportspack Mini unit fitted to the late model coopers. Its a two speed unit with all the outputs I would need and looks like it would take up far less room leaving space for a decent centre console and additional space under the bonnet. If you think some have fitted the mini unit I may see if I can track a car down with one fitted and then decide if its all worth the effort. As you say you are still left with the access problems even if you use a smaller unit.

Regards

John

Comment

Working...
          X