I don't believe it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe it...

...the time came on Wednesday afternoon to see if I could get the engine to start.

So having completed all the essential wiring I plugged in the ECU, put some fuel in the tank, and after about 20 seconds of cranking the motor coughed and spluttered into life!! I really wasn't expecting it to start quite so easily - but I'm pleased that it did!

The motor sounds really sweet and I just hope that the exhaust isn't too loud for the SVA...

I'll have to take a look into the idle speed though as the motor didn't want to idle much below 1000rpm - something to look into at the weekend...!

Simon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio

Re: I don't believe it...

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Great news Simon! When's the SVA?

When are you going to join the Club?

Comment

Well done Simon - I knew you could do it.
      Some comments about idle speed :-
      1) It wont idle untill the water temperature sensor has reached about 85 deg C (Are you sure there is water that far up in the stat housing ? correct venting ? )
      2) The adaptive idle circuit in the ECU would have lost its settings held in NVR and will neeed at least 1 normal hot running temperature/cold cycle to correct itself.
      Payback time now for you Simon, for all the help myself and others have given you. Join the club and write an artical about your experiences for the Pit Stop mag.

Comment

Thanks all for the congratulations and good advice.

I hope you'll be pleased to hear that I've submitted by club membership application this morning (about time I hear you say!).

I'd be happy to write an article about my Cabrio build, but perhaps this would be more interesting when I'm closer to finishing (I think that what I've done so far has already been covered by Peter's excellent articles about the BMW engine conversion).

Comment

Peter

You'll be pleased to hear that your advise regarding my idle speed was spot on! I let the engine run alot longer today to get it fully up to temperature and to let the ECU re-learn the idle settings and the car is idling alot better now.

Thanks again

Simon

Comment

...and for anyone that's interested I've taken some video this afternoon of the car running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBHG37wSug

Comment

Working...
            X