Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder head

Just changed head for unleaded.
    Old one was perfect,very smooth and absolutly no rattles at all. New one has new valves,new cam,new followers,new bearings etc but tappets sound awfull. I set them while on the bench to cortina 2Lt spec 0.20for inlet and 0.25 for exhaust. Before starting engine for first time I used loads of pre lube and because cam belt was off I spun oil pump over to prime the spray bar.
    I pulled ht lead off and turned her over so there was lots of oil in head before I started engine up. It fired up first time which was amazing but the tappets sounded awful.
    Have I done something wrong or do I have to allow for the tappets to bed in.
    Jez

Re: cylinder head

Jez
    Inlet is 0.008 thou, exhaust is 0.010 thou [0.20MM and 0.25MM Metric,you haven't by any chance set at 20 and 25 thousands have you!

Comment

Message originally posted by: jez
      Hi Alan.
      No I double checked the feelers, although hard to read I am sure they were correct but I will get a new set and double check, I am assuming the cam follower should be pointing pretty well straight up when setting?

Comment

If this is the 8 valve Pinto set the valve clearances using the "9" principle. i.e. with no.1 valve fully open set no.8 clearance. with no.2 fully open set no.7 etc.If you turn the engine slowly and watch for the next valve to open you only need to turn two complete revolutions.

Comment

Jez
          Yes cam lobe should be straight up when setting.I've just read a piece in one of my books that suggests reducing the original clearance by .005 thou to allow for 'bedding in'.Also DO NOT allow engine to idle in the first 20 minutes following installation RUN AT 2000 -2500 rpm,if engine temp is problem during this procedure it is better to shut down then restart than to allow engine to idle.What cam have you installed just out of interest?

Comment

Thanks Alan.
            I bought some good old fashioned imperial feeler guages and reset them again, purrs like a kitten now, good job really as I put the car on ebay last night (sun) and had three peope email me straight away then a guy from the Netherlands bought it within an hour(should have put a higher price on it).
            Many thanks again.
            Jez

PS I still have another berli so wont be leaving the club just yet

Comment

You're welcome !

Comment

Hi Jez
                who did the job on the head?, I am running an old 1600 crossflow and concidering having the head refurbed to unleaded
                cheers
                Bob

Comment

Message originally posted by: jez shimell
                  Bob
                  Lyndale (or Lindale) Engines, Fengate in Peterborough - not a million miles away from you,
                  cheers
                  Jez

Comment

Message originally posted by: jez shimell
                    Bob
                    That is Lyndale put the hardened inserts in and reground the valves and I did the rest and pretty proud of it I am too. Couldn't do it without the experts on here though !!
                    Jez

Comment

Cheers Jez
                      will give them a ring
                      Bob

Comment

Hi Jez.

I'm constantly amazed at how little Berlis sell for. And the really sad thing is that, as soon as the price approaches or exceeds ?2K, very few seem to stay in this country!

(Look out for any which go to Germany or Spain - they almost always end up back on European Ebay within a week selling for well over ?3K!)

What's wrong with the peeps in this fair Isle - don't they appreciate that the Marlin is part of their culture

Comment

Hi Donnie.
                          I think the kit car business over hear is very good , there are a lot of different types of cars to choose from.
                          Perhaps there is'nt as much choice on the continent so anybody willing to fetch one from over here can up the price as it would be a sellers market in europe plus they would have to recoup the cost of shipping etc.
                          And perhaps they can see we build better kit cars than anybody else.
                          Jez.

Comment

Hi Jez.

I suspect you're right.

Although many other countries also have their own range of kit cars, I think British vehicles - such as the likes of Marlin - also have a well-established reputation abroad. I'm sure they've picked up some of the cachet from Britain's glory days of the sportscar - MGs, Triumph, Healey, etc!

Comment

Working...
                            X