Rear Brake Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brake Shoes

I have just bought a set of rear brake shoes for a Mk 3 Cortina, but they are too large. My car has a 2L engine, but may have been built onto a 1600 donor. The drums are 8 inch diameter., but the new shoes look as if they should fit 9 or even 10 inch drums.
    Does anyone know if there is a difference in the rear brakes between the different models?

Re: Rear Brake Shoes

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Hi Jim

I can confidently tell you that the 1600 axle should be 8" as I recently had my diff oil seal changed and the axle is a 1600 with 8" brakes. Anything larger would be a 2.00 or more.

Can someone confirm that I am correct?

Comment

Spot on Sue. I had the same problem a few years ago when I changed my 1600 axle for the more beefy 2 litre one. I had to change the brake backplates, Hyd cylinders,drums and shoes too.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        I had a sneak at Haynes after posting the question and he confirms the different drum sizes. I must have a 1600 donor with a 2L engine upgrade.
        The new shoes are on order and I should be back on the road after the weekend. What's the weather forecast like though?

Comment

When cortina based Berlinettas were being built it soon become known that the ratio of the 1600 axle was the one to use with 2000 cc engine 4 speed gearbox and 15 inch wheels. When we started to use the type9 5 speed gearbox we found that the ratio of the 2000cc axle suited better.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
            Weather is not good but who cares! We're British!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Anita
              Why is the Wx always bad where you are Sue?

Comment

Working...
              X