Beware E 36 M50 builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware E 36 M50 builders

Hope you all had a great Stoneleigh. I couldn\'t make it this year due to a major overheating problem with a week to go and being one ofthe first to build with this lump I thought this would be of interest. After much internet searching and geek chats it seems the only problem this lovely lump has is thermostat and water pump failure. Stupidly altough I stripped down the engine I never touched the front.It can\'t have been that bad before as she\'s done 6000 miles and a track day in July last year.Anyway I decided to change both and have the expansion tank top tested.....all 3 were shot!
    The thermostat had a broken spring retention arm, the cap tested 0 psi and the w/pump impeller was cracked right across... I reakon one of the reasons was that I never properly flushed out the system before starting( as it had been idle for 2 years) and quite a bit of rust came out of the block drain plug.Not good if that was being pumped around the system.
    She\'s running fine now but the point I want to make is to make sure you replace them before you build up the front of your car as Derek Jones was right in that there is no room in front to work esp if you have Vanos so I had to remove bonnet, rad,cowl,lights,wiring and h/lamp bar to get at engine front!Everything else you can get at ie btm hose & belt.
    A useful web sight if you don\'t have a Haynes is hot- car- sites.com,E36 commen faults,scroll to \'here\'s how\' which will take you to Pelican Parts.I use 9 litres of 40/60 water in the system and make sure the new impeller is metal NOT plastic (it\'s a service exchange ).
    The 3 parts cost ?83 and I really wish I\'d replaced them before!!
    Hope this helps.
    Chris

Re: Beware E 36 M50 builders

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Great bit of advice Chris. Thanks! Shame you had to find it all out the hard way :-( See you at the next Stoneleigh then!

Comment

Thanks Sue, if not before. Footnote to the above,I replaced the thermostat housing at the same time just to be sure! C

Comment

Hi Chris. I found out that I hadn't got a thermostat fitted in my Berlinetta. Runs much better with one in! Liz

Comment

Chris
          New parts ordered and delivered - thanks for the advice.
          Regards
          Mike

Comment

Good advice as when the pump seizes and stops suddenly the viscous coupling can unscrew it self and the fan goes straight into the rad and gets tangled with the belts.. Now that is expensive, it happened on my neighbours E36. fortunately with dealer warranty. HO HO
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
            X