Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill talk

Message originally posted by: Franklin Woodcock
    Calling Peter Morris, red and white Cabrio on May page of Marlin calendar,(assuming he has a comp. and reads this sort of stuff.) I am impressed by your plated rad. grill, what is the material you used and where did you get it? I would like to tart up the front of my Roadster with something of this type as the original factory galvanised wire looks a bit agricultural to me. I have tried to source some chromed woven wire as used on vintage cars but it is hidiously expensive. Also, what are the side light rims and lenses from?

Re: Grill talk

Franklin
    Thanks for the comments about the grill, you may be supprised to hear that it's one of the 2 Factory standard's for the Cabrio. The other being made from grillmesh sheeting.
    It's made from crimped aluminium wire rods and aluminium strip for the surround . Grill was constructed by following the guidlines in the build manual. If you want I can extract this section and E-Mail to you. The only thing I did that was different was to polish everything before final assembly and then spraying with a clear coating called diamond clear bought from Frost Automotive.
    Side lights, again were supplied to me like that from Marlin cars in 2003. To make things easy for me I bought their entire lighting pack. I have been told that they are made by trimming a standard rubber lamp housing and fitting of a chrome ring from a lucus reflector.

Comment

Franklin
      After numerous attempts with the roadster D.I.Y one I gave up and purchased some diamond mesh stainless steel stuff from Dwornik engineering[they who make the Riley Mph replica] Have since seen same at various shows but don't have any names of suppliers at present

Comment

Franklin,
        Try these guys. Woven wire do the "crimped" style which is very classy but they are quite expensive.
        http://www.wovenwire.co.uk/cargrilles.htm
        http://www.superdials.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl
        Lockwood international (superdials) will supply any size you like and are cheap. They also have an eBay store if you want to do it that way.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps. Firstly, Peter, if I understand you correctly, your grill is made from pre-crimped aluminium wire rods which you weave in and out of nails in a wooden batten as described in the build manual (I bought my Roadster 7 years ago as an on the road finished job but it came with a build manual). If there is more to it than that I would be glad to here about it. So your wire presumably came from Marlin. Alan and Jon, I have seen the woven chromed wire or S/S alternative and as you say it is very expensive, even for a Roadster sized bit. However, I will look into the Lockwood international possibility. Thanks again.

Comment

Franklin

I have a set of unused Marlin supplied alloy grill wires from a Cabrio(I went the stainless expensive route)let me know if they would be of interest to you.

John

Comment

Message originally posted by: BEV MAYER
              Hi, what size piece of s/s grill mesh do you need for the roadster, I may be able to help.

Comment

I've contacted Lockwood as suggested by Jon and they quoted about ?30 for SS mesh. Bev, the piece I need is apx. 18" tall by 16" wide, with the strands running diaganally to make diamond shapes rather than squares (a small but subtle detail). John (Leeds),are the alloy wires straight strands or crimped,that you weave round nails in a wooden batten?
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Hi Franklin

They are the standard Marlin alloy crimped wires as fitted to Peter Morris's car and yes you would need the old nails and wood batten to weave the magic.

Comment

Hi John, I think I will go with your idea and use the crimped alloy wire. Can you e.mail me direct to fix up the details. [email protected] Thanks.
                    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Message originally posted by: BEV
                      Hi, Franklin, Bev here. I have a piece of s/s mesh from which i can cut a piece of the size that you need. It is the correct type of mesh and the hole size is 7mm, but if you want to go for a dagonal pattern then I dont think this piece is big enough.

Comment

Thanks Bev, I really want to go for diagonal if poss. Size your piece up to see if it is big enough to cover the apperture. Is it polished woven stuff?

Comment

Me again. Having weighed up all the options carefully,I have ordered a piece of SS woven mesh from Lockwood-Superdials as suggested by Jon Cox. It was a modest ?25 inc. post for a Roadster sized piece. Thanks to everybody for their advice.

Comment

a little more info re lockwood international ltd - yell listed as superdials tel 0113 244 0070 - i had trouble finding em
                            tony s

Comment

Working...
                            X