Fitting Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Power Steering

I am a new Berlinetta owner, and while I am very pleased with the car I am thinking about fitting power steering. The engine is a 2 litre Cortina Pinto, and the Haynes manual shows power steering as an option.

In theory, all I need is a multiple pulley on the crankshaft, a pump/reservoir and a power rack. All sounds too easy! Anyone succeeded in fitting this? What are the snags, and cost? Lack of space might be an issue I guess.

Re: Fitting Power Steering

Hi Mike,
    I recently bought a clapped out 2 litre Sierra Pinto to rebore and renovate. It had a power steering pump and the engine bracket with it. I have no idea how good the pump condition is but the car did drive OK before it was scrapped for me to get the motor. I can let you have the bracket and pump/reservoir if you want. (the bracket also mounts the alterator). All you will need then would be suitable pipes, a power rack and a double crank pulley. As far as I know it all fits.
    I'm sticking to the standard rack = Just a bit heavy when parking!
    good luck.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Yes it can be made to fit I have seen a Berlinetta some years back with this mod . Over the years quite a number of owners switched to 195 tyres and were very pleased with the results. Large tyres and neg camber and not quite the suitable tyre pressure need large arms!

Comment

Thanks guys
        My Berlinetta has 205 tyres, and only 5,000 miles old, so arm-wrestling while parking is a regular struggle at times. I am spoilt I suppose by regular cars being so easy.

Dane, I would be interested in taking those bits off your hands. How much do you want for them, and of course the postage costs to take into account?

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

just postage is fine. I have not tested the pump myself but alledgedly, it was working up to the stripdown. I'm sorry but I just took the engine and ancillaries. Another car nut took the front suspension, rack and ,heaven forbid, the old rusty brakes!

Where do you want me to send them?

Comment

Hi Dane
            Thanks for your trouble. My address is:-
            4 Parkfield Crescent
            Kimpton
            Herts SG4 8EQ

I\'ll send a cheque for the postage by return.
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

OK Mike,
              I hope to have it with you by the end of the week - post office willing!
              I have found a crankshaft pulley, Water pump pulley and alternator pulley which I shall send with the pump and bracket. The system needs a double belt which is why you need to change the pulleys.
              Cheers,

Comment

Mike,
                In post today 29 May 07.
                Cheers.

Comment

Hi Dane
                  Parcel received this morning. Thanks for all your trouble. Look out for my letter in post.
                  Cheers
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X