Weber carburettor problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber carburettor problems

My newly-purchased Berlinetta has a twin-choke Weber, originally fitted with an automatic choke. That was the first job to do, and I fitted a manual choke conversion. In discussion with the carburettor company, I was told that the model number I had quoted (shown on the tag on the carb) was for a 3 litre Granada. This carb has the twin quadrant gears on the side that open both chokes simultaneously. Supposed to be a way of extracting more power, but at the expense of fuel economy.

The conversion made a big difference, but the engine floods with petrol after stopping, or if right foot is too active during a startup. I am wondering whether I should either get the carb rebuilt, or change it for another more suited to my 2 litre Cortina Pinto engine.

Anyone have any ideas on this, please?

Re: Weber carburettor problems

Sounds like the float is sticking and not rising and cloasing off. Like you say the carb off a three ltr was one of the tuning mods on a two ltr engine. I would not say that the economy suffers that much. Rebuild is straight forward and not expensive with all the parts readily available. Do you know if any other mods were carried out? Valves, cam etc? Overbore maybe? There are usually other mods to warrant use of carb of a three ltr. Unless of course the carb was purchased secondhand and origin was unknown. Compare cost of rebuild to that of a replacement carb, but I am sure you can stop the flooding fairly easily.

Comment

Hi Mike, It sounds that you have picked up the twin 38 carb.instead of the standard 2 litre 34/37?? ,can't be too sure of the size. As Danny said , it is fitted to a tuned up engine and will certainly give more punch, without making to many inroads to the economy' that depends on your right foot. However,it's off a 3 lit. and it won't work very well on a 2 lit. unless it is rejetted and set up for the engine. You will have erratic running, probably a flat spot and certainly poor consumption. It works best when you've got a sports cam in and improved compression etc. Once that's done you will be pleased you've got it.

Comment

Thanks Guys
        I believe the camshaft to be a Piper, but no idea of model or stage of tuning. The head is a 'leaded' type, needing a squirt of special goo every time I fill up with petrol.

On the whole, the car runs well, with occasional transmission jerks if I am too heavy with my right foot at lowish revs. The main problem is re-starting with a hot engine, which is probably the float sticking. Perhaps I will get a kit of gaskets, including float needle etc, and take the carb to pieces.

Getting rid of the auto choke has helped. At least with a choke knob sticking out of the dashboard, I have got more control than before.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X