No announcement yet.

Drove all that way and now it's conked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove all that way and now it's conked.

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Just got back from Scotland (fab weekend!) I parked on the drive and took a few things indoors. Went back out to put the car in the garage and it's kaput! Sounds and acts like a flat battery. I'd had absolutely no trouble with it all weekend and have done over 1200 miles and now this. A couple of times the car hiccouphed as I was speeding home which I ignored and then the last time I filled up with fuel I only got 150 miles from the tank.

Will check the car tomorrow and if it's still kaput will call the RAC. That's what I pay them for after all!

I'll keep you posted.....

Re: Drove all that way and now it's conked.

Sue
    I think the 'speeding home ' probably accounts somewhat for you're fuel consumpsion. Welcome back!

Comment

You changed your motor recently didn't you?
      Check the engine earth strap - it may have become loose.
      Also battery to starter main lead could be loose.
      I hope that it is as simple as that!
      Good luck anyway.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Guys

Just started it on the engine start feature on my charger. On charge now. Will wiggle all the leads and see if anything rattles. It may be a loose thing as I remember now I saw the ignition light stay on slightly longer than usual when we set off on one of the trips.

I didn't drive THAT fast. Mind you, I did shave off an hour from my journey up, 9 hours there and 8 back. But I didn't stop for a cuppa with Lee for half an hour on the way back.

Comment

Sounds like the same trouble I had in Scotland. alternator running but not putting any charge into the battery.
          Fitted one from Bob in penrith now running ok again.

Comment

Hi Guys

All seems OK now. I remember that the starter motor seemed to stick before it refused to start. Have driven around in the last day and it seems OK. Am carrying the jump leads just in case.

Comment

Thats 55mph ave without a stop... in that old crate not bad.
              even my navigator device suggests 7hrs50 without delays or stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
              X