DOHC 8v Engine articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOHC 8v Engine articles

Came across this website http://www.crustworld.co.uk/sierra/index.html which has some interesting and useful information in pdf's on improving the output power from the 8v DOHC.

In particular there is a comprehensive guide to building a 2.3 ltr hybred version of the 8v which delivered 168 bhp! on completion for a total outlay of ?600 which seems very good to me.

If you look at the article you will see a lot of work was done to get rid of the 2.3 balance shafts due to clearence problems on the sierra cross member which wouldn't be an issue when fitted into a Cabrio. May just be able to use the 2.3 bottom end as is in a Cabrio application. Just wondered what other people thought.

How about it Bev?, could this be a much easier answer to aftermarket throttle bodies etc.. and still use an engine with the same ECU, wiring, gearbox, injection plenum and exhaust manifolds.

What do you think?

John

Re: DOHC 8v Engine articles

Wow! I'm 80%way through building a 2.0 DOHC cabrio, and was thinking of going the zetec route post-SVA. This is really food for thought as the Zetec option would cost a relative packet (My DOHC is a carb version....)

Comment

Hi Chris

Like you I am nearing the end of a DOHC 2.0 build and like you have looked at zetec but with management it is always going to be 2K plus.

The 2.3 project was an interesting article and there are follow ups to it on the Sierra owners club forum but it seems he has had some problems with oil usage on the 2.3 he built.

You may be interested in this on ebay 220117858510, a supplier of twin carb manifolds for the DOHC. People on the Sierra owners club forum have reported 150 BHP with good low down torque from using twin carbs on this manifold with a janspeed 4 branch exhaust and mild road cams and a bit of head work which comes out a lot less than other engine routes and is all straight forward to do.

The more I read the more I think I will stick with the DOHC and improve it, if I can get to circa 150 BHP with a low down torque band I will be more than happy.

Regards

John

Comment

Hi John,
        There does seem to be a bit of scope for tuning the DOHC engine, there was an article on custworld about doing that too. I ran my Sierra for about 9 months before dismantling it, it gave 30MPG + and a top speed that I won't publish, but I found quite impressive. The diff must be a high ratio because although it was a bit slow off the mark the speeds you could pull in each gear was fairly high.

How far on is your build?

I've got to check out the wiring, bleed the brakes, fire it up, and try to get the passanger door to fit better. A bit of carpet and off to SVA. I plan to paint it post SVA in case I need to do any body work mods.

Comment

Hi Chris

I bought mine as a part completed kit in 2004, but due to commitments stored it for two years, started serious work on it last October.

I concentrated first on building the body to completion bar the hood. That included all the finishing bits like lights, lamp bar etc ...

Once that was done I turned attention to the mechanicals which were not built by me and yes you guessed it, horror stories at every turn. Net result is the suspension, diff, brakes, steering have just been totally rebuilt over the last 8 weeks. Just about got it back on its wheels.

The car is wired up and the engine starts off the key but I intend to take the engine out to do some reworks in the engine bay, (engine was in the car when I got it), re do some of the wiring to tidy things up as I have redesigned the dash to my liking so things have moved around a bit.

Then its trim and SVA, like you I am painting after its gone through SVA.

Just need to retire so I can spend more time on it. Got to say having built a few cars over the years, reworking a part built and in many places dubious build is a pain in the XXX. It is much easier to build from scratch and know its all right, if I were doing it again I would have stripped the car completly and started the build from scratch as if it were a new kit.

Regards

John

Comment

Working...
          X