Tyres for 7Jx15 Wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres for 7Jx15 Wheels.

I am useing 7Jx15 wheels on my Rover V8 engined Cabrio.It has been on the road for 4 years, and covered 10000 exhilerating miles.I fitted Pirelli P6000 Powergy 195-65 to the rims.The rears now need replaceing and i was told at a Kit show that i should really have put 205-60s on a 7J rim.I was always very happy with the way the car handled on the 195-65 tyres, being very grippy, i thought, in wet and dry conditions.I like to drive it fairly hard, when the wife isnt looking, but have never taken it onto a track.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Tyres for 7Jx15 Wheels.

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
    Hi Mike

Stick with the slimmer tyres. I have just put new 185x80 on 15x6 wheels on my Berli from 205x70 on 15x7 and the ride is much better, it takes corners better and is generally more comfortable. Less is more as they say!

Comment

Hi Mike

Interesting question, I have a part built Cabrio which I took over the build of, the guy I bought it off had purchased five brand new alloys and tyres 195 x 60 x 15. I have wondered if I will find the profile too low and harsh on the ride and was considering tranfering the tyres to the family estate as it uses 195 x 60 x 15 and buying new 65 profile tyres for the Cabrio. I would be interested to see how people have found 60 profile tyres if any have them fitted.

By the way, only 10,000 miles out of a set of Pirelli, sounds like you have been racing the hot hatch boys!!

Regards

John

Comment

Mike
        I'm running 195x65x15 Uniroyal Rally 380's on 5.5 J rims, no complaints on grip and wet weather performance seems especially good ,which was a major factor as I use the car all year round.The previous fitment was some cr-- called Champino or somesuch.I paid £45 a tyre all in at my local Uniroyal dealer

Comment

Hi Sue,John and Alan,
          Thanks for the advice.I think i will stick with the size i have been running.

Regards Mike

P.S.I just can't help myself John, when some kid sits on my bumper,i have to show what a Marlin can do.We have some lovely driveing roads down here in Devon.The car is my anti depressant, and there is nothing quite like going out for a quick run in the evenings to help me relax.

Enjoy your Marlin!

Comment

Hi Mike. Could you send me that photo. I could do with putting it foward for the calendar collection. By the way folks I need more pictures . Need them by 20th Aug Liz

Comment

Hi
              Maybe one reason for the advice if you use a tyre that is narrower than the rim realy needs, then the profile of the tyre may not be as they were designed. Either that or you may have to run at different pressure to maintaina flat tread to the road.
              My V8 has had 205*65*15's since it passed SVA. It is fantastic in the dry. In the damp it can spin the wheels in a straight line, any gear you choose.
              My Toyos cost £59 from Northern Wheels
              Cheers
              Derek

Comment

Hi Derek,
                I have investigated further, and 205 60's are the same circumference as 195 65's. The difference is that they are wider.If i go to 205 65's then the rolling circumference will be that bit larger, and i imagine might affect speedo readings.Not sure which to go for? Will let you know as soon as this MAJOR decision is made!Haveing tried various tyre pressures, i found 22lb to give the best grip/ride combination.
                My V8 is in standard form, i.e. no hot cam etc. What have you done with your engine to give you so much power? sounds awesome, as they say.
                Regards Mike.

Comment

If you visit http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html you can put in various profiles and sizes and it will tell you the rolling radius, and the change on speedo calibration too.

Comment

Hi Mike
                    Alternativley I could email a copy of my Toyo tyre book.
                    205*60=286mm stactic rad.195*65 =290mm rad and 205*65= 294mm rad
                    294mmrad =826revs per mile
                    290mmrad =840revs per mile
                    286mmrad =854revs per mile
                    I guess you have to decide how much error you can cope with on your speedo.
                    I found the with my diff a 3.38:1 and 205*60*15 I have ythe same m per Hr per 1000 revs as the donor Sd1. Thus I could use the original speedo at it is accurate- checked by GPS at all speeds.
                    I did say it will spin the wheels on greasey roads.
                    cheers Derek

Comment

Working...
                    X