Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleedin brakes

Message originally posted by: Don
    Or in this case the clutch cylinder. Once upon a time, in the dim and distant past there was a make of bleed nipple that had a small valve in the form of a sprung loaded end. To bleed the brakes, or any other hydraulic circuit, you only had to slacken them off and pump the pedal. They worked a treat. Does anyone remember these or what they were called, and are they still made?

Now I have tried all manner of other widgets and devices for bleeding brakes, and none of them seem to work all the time.

The tubes with valves on the end, let air in around the threads of the nipple when you let the pedal up.

The ones that pressurise the master cylinder blow brake fluid past the rear seal and into the footwell, as the rear seal is not meant to handle pressure.

And the vacuum ones just seem to suck air into the system.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Re: Bleedin brakes

Don
    I can also recall the 'automatic' bleed valves but not the manufacturer unfortunately. I found that the only way to successfully bleed the clutch system was to ensure that the bleed valve was uppermost ie above the inlet otherwise a pocket of air becomes trapped.Dare say you've already done that though!

Comment

Don
      They are called speed bleeders by our American cousins -try www.performance 5.com .Hope that helps!

Comment

Yay! Thanks Alan, those are not the ones I remembered but they look even better thanks a lot I will acquire some in due course.

Comment

And the good news is they are available over here from Demon tweaks. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=GDRBN506PSB

So the question is? what is the thread size on the Marina bleed nipple?

Comment

Hold on Don! Don't go all technical on us. I've never found a better way to bleed brakes etc than the following:- 1. a small glass jar 2. a piece of rubber pipe 3. a ring spanner 4. the mrs. sitting in the car. I would lend her to you but it's the distance. I've long since given up trying to make it a one man job, it just doesn't work.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I have never suffered the blow-past problem when pressurising the master cylinder. I use the lowest pressure that will work properly though. High pressure may cause the leaks you mention but will operate the rear pressure limiting valve (if fitted) and prevent proper bleeding. Best results I have gained was with a compromise air pressure of around 12 psi. (Lawn tractor tyre pressure!)
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

The original ones where made by Betta parts and called ABV (automatic bleed valves). Unless the donor was a very late car the thread will be imperial.One thing is to ensure the bleed nipple is in the upper union position. ie above the inlet.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                X