Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column UJ - where to get?

Aarghh!

MOT due tomorrow, but I think there's too much play in my UJ - the little one at the end of the steering column that connects to the steering rack. No point risking a fairly probable failure!

Any ideas of where to start looking for this fellow?

(I will try Motor Factors, internet, Ebay, etc. etc., but just wondered if someone knew of good sources.)

I don't suppose you have one, Danny?!

Thanks for any help.

Re: Steering column UJ - where to get?

Just looked in my Haynes manual and the steering is shown as having a separate lower shaft with a 'flexible' coupling attached at the bottom.

I know the Berli shaft is different, with a section welded on, so I'm now guessing the UJ at the bottom is not a standard Cortina item? The UJ is a completely separate unit which can be detached from the shaft.

Eeek...

Comment

Donnie, can you see any marks or numbers on BOTH parts of the u.j. because I have several different new ones in the garage, also spline count and shaft diameter would help.

Comment

Thanks Phil.

I'll remove it tomorrow (need the car today!).

I called in to a motor factors, and they have some replacement 'hardy-spicer' bearings etc, if I can get a size to them. However, a complete part would be much better!

I'll be in touch.

Comment

Donnie
          Car builder solutions are possibly an option!

Comment

Thanks Alan.

The problem is, I don't think it's an original Cortina item, as the Cortina 'flexible coupling' seems to be permanently attached to the lower steering shaft. The UJ on the end of my Berli's steering shaft is a separate unit with splines at each end.

So, I don't know what to ask for! Does anyone know what vehicle it was made for?

Thanks.

Comment

My apologies, Alan.

I've just looked through CBS's on-line catalogue, and #UJF looks very similar!

I just need to remove it and start counting splines...

Many thanks.

Comment

Donnie
                Firther info which MAY be of some interest - both the Roadster And the Cabrio use a joint from the Triumph 2000 , Leyland part no.145377 or Brown bros. PSSC1113. What are the chances of same foe Berli?

Comment

Hi Alan.

Certainly the Roadster was mainly Triumph/Morris-based (to my knowledge!) whereas the Berli is mostly Cortina-based. Mind you, the Cabrio used mainly a Sierra donor, I think (showing my ignorance here.), so you never know...

BUT SURELY SOMEONE ON HERE HAS THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER?!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Danny Nelson.
                    Sorry Donnie I did not pickup your question untill tonight.The part you req is indeed Steering universal joint, needle roller type from Triumph 2000, Leyland part no 145377, or Brown Brown Brothers part no PSSC 1113. Try any local suppliers with these part nos. Try Kitfit tel 052277 504. If you are still stuck let me know and I will try to pick one up for you at the Donnington Show this coming weekend.

Comment

Brilliant Danny!

Thanks so much. I'm sure I can pick one up with that info.

(YET another pint I owe you...)

Comment

Nice to know I was on the right track!

Comment

Yep, no 'play' in YOUR direction!

Comment

Danny and Alan. Mucho thanks. (And Phil too - see below!)

I've just ordered one from www.davidmanners.co.uk ('jagspares') for £24 including postage and VAT, which seems significantly cheaper than every other source (Rimmer bros, for example, was £25.75 EXcluding everything...).

I'll let you know how good they turn out to be!

Phil, thanks for offering to check the ones you have on your shelf. I decided to go ahead and order one direct simply so that I wouldn't have to remove the old one first - keeping the car on the road is a priority! I'll give you its details once it's out (or I get the new one) and hopefully you'll be able to confirm if you have one of these for future info - and possibly a sale to another Marlin owner?!

Thanks to all.

Comment

Hi Donnie The item you want is the Triumph component known as the steering universal joint and the part no.s as described by Alan and Danny are perfectly correct and can be purchased from Rimmer Brso. Give them a ring on 01522 568000 and it will be posted to you by return. I think the whole package cost under £30.00 I know because I've just bought one.

Comment

Working...
                              X