Fitting Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Power Steering

A few months ago, I enquired in The Forum for ideas about fitting power steering to my 1992 Berli (2 litre Cortina), and ended by obtaining a pump and various fittings from a fellow-member.

Now the Winter is looming up, I am thinking of pursuing this project. I still need a power rack and the plumbing, but don't know the best way of obtaining these parts. Don't really want to buy expensive new or recon, but also don't want to end up with a pool of oil under the car evry 5 minutes etc.

E-bay has various racks, new & old. Should I be looking for Cortina or will other models be OK? If I get a rack, I will still need the pipes - any ideas, guys?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Fitting Power Steering

I would go to Pirtex hydraulics usually based in every major town or a local agricultral dealer mostley have machines for making rubber hyd/steering hoses any size you require or they would cut you a length of hose and you can make your own using reusable joint ends but there is an art in fitting usable ends.

Comment

Hi Mike. I built my berli many years ago, and I did have a similar thought as yours, I was told that the mechanisms , i.e the rack, pump and associated equipment was too big to go into the car, I think that the front crossbeam got in the way, and the front of a Marlin is a lot narrower than the original Cortina. However, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then , so what has changed ?? Are you sure it can be done, because I've not heard of any one else doing it. If you are successful , then it might be a first...regards Brian

Comment

Thanks guys
        My Berli is a 1992 version. Must admit I had assumed that provided I could get the pump under the bonnet, that the rack etc would not present any major probs. I can easily check out the pump part of the job, as I have one in stock complete with bracket and pulleys. Not so sure how I go about checking the power v manual rack , without obtaining a power one and stripping out the manual version. Perhaps I could get a tatty one from a scrappie at low cost, before taking any serious financial risks, and check things out over the Winter? More thought needed here!
        Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Mike

Try talking to Danny Nelson - I believe he feels someone has done this before.

Comment

Thanks Mike
            I will follow up that idea.

Cheers
            Mike

Comment

Mike I tried to reply to your email but could not get it to send? I am told that a member carried out this convertion, but I did not see it so I can not be sure.

Comment

I notice that Corsa’s have some kind of electric steering that attaches to the steering column. I wonder if this could be adapted to fit a Marlin. Personally I think the extra steering effort is a good thing keeping me ever so slightly fitter.

Paul

Comment

Ooops wrong format picture. Sorry, Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Danny
                    Received your e-mail, thanks. If I am to pursue this,and not spend big bucks on a new or recon power rack, I will have to get one from a scrappy - or unless a member has a discarded one lurking in the back of their garage!
                    Cheers
                    Mike

Comment

I'm just building a V6 automatic berlinetta, have the major suspension, engine and gearbox in. Just started looking at the power steering rack today. Looks like it should bolt in place okay, but the shaft for the column is at a steep angle and will lie outside of the bodywork at the front. However will likely all be below the wing so not a huge issue. But will need to offset using UJ's to line up with the steering wheel!!!

Regards,

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X