Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sierra Berli, wheels, tyres and rear suspension.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sierra Berli, wheels, tyres and rear suspension.

My current tyres are 205 section on 6.5"x 15" Marlin wheels. The rear wheels lean inwards (rather like a Triumph Herald) and so the tyres are not wearing evenly. I want to correct this lean inwards and then fit more appropriate rubber.(I've read Sue's threads on wheels and tyres and admired her pictures and also Jeremy Carrington's piece in Pitstop...what I want to know is exactly what is required to sort out my rear wheel lean and thereafter what size tyres to fit. JC seemed to suggest a change to 5.5 J x 15" wheels...which I'll onsider if I can't get "thin enough" on the existing 6.5" Marlin wheels. Comments and advice most welcome!

Re: Sierra Berli, wheels, tyres and rear suspension.

Hi Bill, The rear springs req spacing down from their top mount. Members have carried out this mod by having a top hat shaped spacer made which means the top mount is then lower. As the wheel goes down or the car goes up the caster angle changes. As for tyres 195 work well.

Comment

Hi Bill, The top hat replacement does work , and is easy if you have the required machining facilities, however, another option is to replace the rear spring with the stiffer version that was fitted to the Sierra Estate. This spring is virtually identical except for the wire diameter which initially is bigger then reduces for the last two coils. Obviously the car/spring was designed for greater load carrying capacity ,yet retain a degree of comfort. As your car is lighter than the one the spring was meant for , it does not compress as far when loaded. It has the effect of holding the body up and straightening the wheels. I've done both mods. but each of the S- berli 's were different and you may not need to go the whole hog,, I suggest that you try the spring change first, because its a lot easier, and quicker. See my e-mail to you for more detail. regards Brian.

Comment

I have just changed from 205's to 195's and the result is good. Much lighter handling, a much more nimble feel. Very much easier low speed - parking speed - steering. I cannot compare wet and dry conditions. In my view the 195's look better on these cars as well. Also cheaper and greater choice. I have also fitted wire wheels - fantastic!

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I looked at fitting w/wheels when building my Cabrio but found that the bolt on adaptor to take the spinner spindle took the wheel width out further than the rear wheel arch; made worse as I'd dropped the arches 50mm.
          Did you find some centre plate 4 stud wires?
          Are you going to Westpoint? We could meet up..... incidently if you were going play around with your exhust system I have some pipe,cherry bombs and bits you are welcome to.
          The 'Powerstock Run' was great .Thanks.
          Yours Chris

Comment

Chris
            The wheels I have fitted do very slightly exceed the width of the wheel arches but less so than the original wheels. MWS do have an alternative which will fit within the wheel arch. I chose the model I have used because I wanted to fit tubeless tyres, also they were cheaper! Love to have the exhaust bits, see you at Westpoint. Chris

Comment

Chris looking forward to seeing your wires which day are you going to West Point? I will be there on Sunday I hope. Regards Danny.

Comment

Dorset Chris

Any chance of a couple of photos of your wire wheels being posted here?

Comment

I second the request for some pics please.

Comment

Pictures to be posted asap

Comment

Pictures of new wire wheels
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ooh lovely - wire wheels just look so nice!! Worth every penny - your car looks great. Which bolt-on adapters did you use and are the w/wheels MG? I hope you don't mind my asking.

Comment

Dorset Chris
                          The wires look so good on your car.
                          What size are they, in dia. and width?
                          Your car reminds me of my very first advert I saw for marlins, and prompted me to buy one.
                          The colour scheme suites the car and the wires finish it perfectly.

Comment

The wheel size is 5.5" x 15"
                            The wheels are from www.MWSint.com
                            The part number is XW457S-TL they are tubeless. The tubed version is cheaper. The wheels also fit MGC and TR6.
                            The other model you may like to consider is the XW480S which is also tubed although I believe a tubeless version will be available eventually. The XW480 has an extra 20mm offset and may tuck in a little tighter but I couldn't get them in tubeless form. The advantage of tubeless tyres is that you have greater choice and - you don't have to buy a tube!
                            I am still delighted with the looks and the handling of the car since fitting these wheels and slightly narrower tyres. Still experimenting with tyre pressures, currently at 26lbs.

Comment

Chris
                              Are your wires fitted by means of a bolt on spline adaptor?
                              regards
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X