It started First Time!, but a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It started First Time!, but a couple of questions

Well after a very long time (4 years) I put fuel in the tank, connected up the battery and turned the key. On the second time over the engine burst into life. Since it had been sitting around for si long I was so amazed I had to go lie down in a dark room!

I've a couple of questions though.
    1. Although I've done it up really tight there is a small fuel leak from the brass widget that screws into the bottom of the fuel tank. I've though of coating it in fuel-proof gasket sealant. Is this a good plan?

2.The engine is a DOHC 2.0 lump with a Webber 2v carb. There are two fuel lines to the carb, feed and return. I've a Facet pump mounted on a cotton reel isolator, but it seems to tick att the time and fuel is continually recirculating. Is this normal? the carb isn't flooding or anything.

Re: It started First Time!, but a couple of questions

Hi Chris
    1. I had the same leak as you and fixed it by wrapping Ptfe tape around the thread of the fitting. (The same tape as used for plumbing water fittings)
    2. What is the pump you have? (you should have bought an interrupter type for a carb engine) The electronic solid state facet pump will always tick, but an interrupter pump should only tick when the the float valve in the carb opens.

Comment

Chris
      I would use a crushable type copper washer between tank and \'widget\' rather than gasket goo.I would think that the pump running continually would again seem ok with system that includes a return line, Haynes manual seems to suggest that\'s the case.

Comment

Chris
        Just caught Peter's reply as I sent mine, I would go with his comments on fuel pump as he is the electronics expert

Comment

Thanks.
          I'll try the ptfe tape, as there is no flange on the widget to use a copper washer.

I think the pump running continually is OK in terms of it working properly, but it is a bit noisy even though it is mounted on a cotton reel.

Comment

Hi Chris,
            I had the same annoying problem and mine eventually just stopped.To save time if you go to 19 Jan 07 Facet Pump; those Q & As will help you decide.

Comment

More thoughts
              Facet make lots of different pumps so what exactly do you have?
              The pump I have is the solid state pump (aquare looking) which is ok for circulatimg fuel to my swirle pot and back, but does make a lot of noise. I did find however that mounting it verticuly make a big difference.
              I have to confess that I'm not a carb man these days and your webber may just be returning exess flow back through the return line.
              My understanding of Facet interrupter pumps (cylindrical looking) is that they are designed to stop pumping once pressure is reached (like the old SU pumps of the 70's)and in you aplication and many other members aplication, they end up pumping continually, which is not ideal as they wear out and pack up quite quickly. I think this is what happened to Chris and also to Derek Jones (cabrio rep)

Comment

Chris
                I'm somewhat confused by the fact that you have both feed and return from the carb.My setup [2litre s.o.h.c. with mechanical pump] only has one feed to carb. However the fuel is delivered from the pump to a pressure regulator/vapour separator and from there to the carb, but has a return from the regulator back to tank. with this setup I presume that the pump [be it mechanical or otherwise] would supply fuel continuously regardless of whatever the level in the float chamber .You're not being confused by the coolant hose to the auto choke by any chance? Sorry if this only clouds the issue,just trying to get my head around the problem!

Comment

Hi Chris,
                  Like Alan Millie has a SOHC engine with a Weber 2V carburettor fed from a mechanical pump. Taken directly from the Sierra the mechanical pump feeds a swirl pot to maintain a local fuel reservoir. Any excess fuel and vapour is returned to the tank. The carb is fed from a single pipe off the swirl pot. Photo attached.

I suspect that your set up has been modified to have an electric pump. This is goodness because it improves starting after the car has stood for a while. Overcoming the problem where the fuel in the pipes has evaporated and your partly discharged battery has to crank the engine for some while the mechanical pump recharges the swirl pot.

All the electric pumps I have seen feed the carb directly. They are designed to pump until a certain pressure is attained then stop.

If I am right your set up will work but may cause the pump to overheat or wear out because it is not designed to run continuously. I am not sure if you can reconfigure the Weber to accept a direct feed. But I bet someone reading this will know.

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Paul,
                    The original donor had an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank with the fuel tank sender unit. I must admit I was surprised that there was a fuel return.

The return is directly from the carb itself. Any further suggestions welcome!

Comment

Working...
                    X