Steaming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steaming up

While those of us with both hard & soft-tops have the luxury of choice, having just swapped over mine to hard-top option, I have just experienced one of the handicaps - you've guessed it, a complete steam-up inside!! Took my Berli to work at 7.00 am today, to give it a good run as well as testing out the roof assembly, and got a mile down the road with sudden need to fraantically rub windows. No such problem in the Japanese family wagon. It wasn't so bad once the heater had come to life, but moving slowly in traffic I had to regularly wind one or both windows down an inch or two to clear the fug.

The heater chugs out lots of heat, but the installation does NOT offer the choice of which way to send it - screen or feet. Don't think I can change that, without a complete refit with another model of heater. Also missing is a means of creating a through-put of air. Drill some holes in the boot area somewhere?

Question: has anyone tried a stick-on heated rear window attachment? They were popular in the days when our dads were running around in Morris 1000's and A35's etc. I'll have a search in Google and e-Bay, but would be interested in members experiences in this direction.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Steaming up

I have a hardtop Berli. Mine has the cortina/sierra heater box and fan built into the bulkhead and some ducting to take some of it to the screen. Initially this was not very effective and I have made some improvements (enlarged the aperture that feeds the screen vents and fitted the three speed fan switch and resistor from a Sierra). Now although the screen does mist up initially, once the car warms up it stays clear and the air movement seems to be enough to clear the rear screen too.
    I thought about the stick on heated things - my Dad had one in an old hillman years ago. You'd need to remember to disconnect it when you switch to the soft-top again though ;-)

Comment

I have heard of a couple of people using the stick on jobby to de-mist the screen and they do seem to work. I was wondering about getting one but decided the water magnet cloth was just as effective so keep one at hand at all times in the winter. The good thing about the Berli is that you can reach the whole windscreen without leaving the comfort of your seat and you can also reach back and do the rear screen too. 3 for a fiver at Stoneleigh and they double up in the home too: kitchen, bathroom.....

Comment

Mike, Have a look on eBay 200179319203 expiring 09Dec for universal heated rear screen kit. We bought one from the same source but haven't fitted it to our hardtop yet so can't say if it works very well. The kit looks a bit basic but if you buy it at the right price AND it works then you are a winner!
        Rgds,
        Neville

Comment

Thanks Neville, I will follow up the screen heater. Also, I have reached the conclusion that my Berli (and no doubt others) suffers from a lack of air going through the car. In my my future revised dashboard, I am planning to include 2 nozzles at face level. To allow the incoming air to keep going through the car, I am thinking of inserting 1 or 2 small vents under the back seat. Hopefully, this will bring the air currents up to the standard of a 'normal' car.
          Electrical heated mirrors will probably not get on my shopping list. With the increased electrical loading of a rear-screen heater, I am not sure if my alternator/battery or my pocket can cope!
          Cheers
          Mike

Comment

Unfortunately, I missed the e-Bay screen kit. However, I wonder if anyone knows the supply of the standard rear screen glass? If it was an old off-the-shelf item, then maybe I would find a wired one on e-Bay & swap them over and wire it in with an easy make/break connection.

Any ideas?
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

I just noticed that Holden do the stick-on rear screen element that I missed seeing on e-Bay. See http://www.holden.co.uk , in electrical/heater area for more details. Cost is £30 and size can be cut (DIY) to suit. Might be tempted!
              Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                re: stick-on screens
                - another on eBay at 140190990034, also CBS Car Builder Solutions sell them at a similar price to Holdens.
                Better still, an article in Dec's Complete Kit Car says Irntam Kitz tel 01564 700020 "can also offer heated front and rear screens for ANY car, including kit cars!
                Rgds, Neville

Comment

Working...
                X