R.A.C BREAKDOWN RIP OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.A.C BREAKDOWN RIP OFF

I flew back from Germany in December and found my car would not start in the airport car park, so I called the RAC of which I am a full top level member. They advised it would be 1 to 2 hours before they could attend as they were busy. 3 hours later they arrived and fitted jump leads and got me running.
    This week I got bill for £85 for there service as jump starting is not covered.

The annoying thing is that I have just paid for my renewal 2 days before the bill arrived.

The following items are not covered by the rip off RAC and I will not be renewing with them next time.

1.Replacing windows or tyres with no legal repair

2.Lock outs, missing or broken keys

3.Contaminated fuel

4.Lack or shortage of fuel or power or, any other driver induced or, preventable faults i.e. Non-Mechanical. Flat battery.

5.Road Traffic Accident

Re: R.A.C BREAKDOWN RIP OFF

Hi Bob. deepest sympathy about your treatment from the R.A.C.,however,in this magazine I reported a similar experience with the A.A. In June of last year , my Berli had a coming together with a B.M.w which pulled out into my path`and broke the nearside front suspension, which meant I had to call for assistance to get home. On a Sunday afternoon there was no option but to call out the A.A, of which I am a full paid up member. I was billed £104.00 and I was only 4 miles from home !!!! I was told that I have only 'breakdown cover', which does n't cover a RTA. and if you are blameless claim it of the other party. Like you, I am disappointed at their attitude and seriously consider the options for next year. Brian.

Comment

I have been a member of the RAC for the last 37 years and find this very upsetting. I will be looking around for a better deal when my renewal is due. Any offers for a good deal would be appreciated.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I have been a member for thirty odd years. Last year I went to look at a Berlinetta approx forty mile from my home. I done the contaminated fuel thing and despite having Company cover with the RAC and personal cover with the RAC. I had to pay in advance £150 to get my car home at midnight. The breakdown driver who recovered me told me I should have claimed that I had a puncture and that I did not have a spare and they would have had to recover me! I am looking for alternative cover.

Comment

I've joined the RAC to get my Sportster home after the front wishbone broke, I'll keep the above situations in mind should anything happen in future!

Patrick
          www.msportster.co.uk
          BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
          http://www.modelog.co.uk/
          http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

If you had pulled the plug off your alternator you would not have got charged (no pun intented lol). Just have to say the ignition lamp was ON all the time during the journey to the carpark and on your return the battery appears to be flat. That is a breakdown due to a fault with the alternator/connector not due to you or a preventable flattened battery.
            I can say this with confidence as my alternator wire did break, ignition light stayed on and the battery didn't get charged, when I returned from a hike the car didn't start. The RAC came, fixed the alternator by poking the wire back in and jumped started the engine - no worries.

Comment

I used to have green flag Breakdown then found I was covered for breakdowns in uk and Europe through my Car insurance and also in the UK through my Bank account. Hence now I dont buy Breakdown cover at all.

Comment

I had a lockout situation (locked my keys in the Volvo!!!) and the AA bloke was great. I have had to call them out several times over the last few months and the AA have always turned up within 40 minutes, in spite of initially advising me that there would be a delay of 1 to 1.5 hours.(possibly because I was a women on my own). The AA blokes have all been very kind and I think they have sometimes done more than they were strictly required to; however I will take note of other peoples experiences but so far I am happy to remain a member.

Comment

Hi, Westbound, on the A35 out of bridport my Import Pajero sauntered to a stop half way up that steep hill. The engine would rev freely in any gear, but no motion.
                  The AA responded within the hour, late on a Sunday night, and relayed me back to Cornwall with no problems. They accepted over the 'phone that the AA man would not be able to effect a roadside repair.
                  The snag? Only the Twin Mass Flywheel had disintegrated, obviously taking the clutch bits with it! You need to sit down in a quiet room to digest the price of a replacement TMF! ( I replaced it with a new, Shogun, solid flywheel. Truck runs much better now!).
                  So, I had no problems with the AA this time.
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                  X