Berli Side Repeater Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berli Side Repeater Indicators

My user friendly MOT Station has closed down,and the new one I used this week informed me that all cars from 1990 needed side repeater indicators,which of course Berlis do not have.After some altercation regarding SVA approval etc he grudgingly allowed it through on the premise that 'you could see the front indictaors on stalks from the side.'Is he being a jobsworth or have all the other mot testers missed a trick?
    He did refuse to let me keep my old black and silver plates too,had to put horrible reflective yellow and white ones on.I know strictly speaking black and silver plates are illegal, but they didn't half look nice and no one in 17 years has ever said anything, no coppers or MOT testers.

Re: Berli Side Repeater Indicators

According to this web site:

http://www.ukmot.com/1-5.asp

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is the number 5.

So I guess it depends on the age of your car and the type of front indicator.

As for your number plates I think that the requirement for standard colours and lettering stems from the automation of traffic policing. The replacement of officers with machines may also the reason you have not been challenged.

I know of people who replace their italicised, wrong size and spacing plates for the MOT each year. But then if you can afford to buy a registration number like W4 NKR you can afford the fine should you get caught.

Paul

Comment

Hi Mike.
      I bit the bullet three years ago and fitted little repeaters to my (1989) Berli.
      I obtained them then from Marlin. They are round and came with a bracket that fitted to the front wing support stay bolts between the stay and wing. A small (~20mm) hole was bored throught the wing lip. The rsult is quite tidy and allows me to use small front indicators on top of the wing in place of the sidelights thus eliminating the motorcycle stalks. The sidelights are now internal to my headlights (just within the 400mm rule!).
      Attached Files
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I used Car Builder Solutions stick-on LED repeaters. They fitted very neatly at the bottom of the windscreen pillar on both sides. The fine wiring hardly shows, being run near the hinges & into the interior under the dash for connection to the indicator switch.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Crikey Mike,
          I wish I had found those stick-on type two years ago. Much less work involved. The way to go!
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I had the same discussion about repeaters this year after 21 years. I think the guy was being a jobsworthy and I stated categorically that you could see the indicator from the side as they were wrap around covers, and they gave in. This year seemed to be OK.

I think your guy is being pretty picky!

Comment

Working...
            X