BMW aluminium gearshift linkage dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW aluminium gearshift linkage dimension

Now that I've got the floors and seats in my Cabrio I'm concerned that the gearlever is a bit too far forward.

Can anyone out there with a BMW engined Cabrio let me know the approximate length of the aluminium gearshift rod linkage from their 3 series donor (either M20 or M50) between the centre of the front bush and the centre of the gear lever hole (see attached diagram).

I have managed to get hold of another pair of 5 series gearshift linkages but these are too long (the gearlever hits the handbrake when in 2nd gear!). Rather than cut down these down and weld I'd prefer to get hold of a 3 series part if its a better length.

Thanks

Simon
    Attached Files

Re: BMW aluminium gearshift linkage dimension

hi Simon
    length is 270mm.
    regards Andrew

Comment

Many thanks Andrew.

Is that dimension for an E30/M20 or E36/M50 3 series linkage?

Regards

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon
        Sorry not to clarify E30/M20 Series 2 320i,
        This may be of intrest my sportster has only the gear lever socket portion of item 1 [your diagram] bolted to the trainsmision housing so the only conection to the gearbox is the selector rod item 11

Comment

Simon,
          Andrew's measurement of 270mm confirmed for E36/M50 combination. My partner who I share a workshop with and scraps BMW's has got a linkage rod available for €10 if you are interested ...and not in a hurry because I'm off on hols till 5March.
          Rgds,
          Neville

Comment

Thanks Neville for the offer of the linkage rod but there has been a slight change of plan...

I've managed to get my 330mm 'long' linkage shortened at work to 280mm. The chap that used to do the aluminium welding (that shortened my previous linkage and welded an anti-surge sump into the fuel tank) retired recently but his replacement was happy to help me out. So I'm going to try it out this weekend to see if it works ok.

Thanks again to you both for the info on the various BMW gearshift mechs.

Simon

Comment

Working...
            X