Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking water pump?

Hi Guys
    My Berli seems to have developed a squeak, which I suspect is the water pump. It certainly seems to occur with engine running, and varies in pitch, sound etc according to the revs. The engine is a 2 litre Pinto ex Cortina.

Anybody got a remedy, or should I be worried and replace it asap? Advice on making the change-over would be handy.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Squeaking water pump?

Mike,
    Before ripping the water pump out, check the cam belt idler. When they are old and tired they can squeek a bit. They are not too expensive and you could change the belt at the same time.
    Old alternators can start to make bearing noises too. The bearings in my lucas type can be lubricated.

Try listening to the noise using a piece of garden hose to your ear, the other end pointed at the various items in the engine bay. In general terms where the noise is loudest that is where the problem resides. Be careful not to become caught by all the rotating bits though!
    Good luck with it.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Dribble some water on the fan belt while it's running and see if the noise stops.

Comment

Thanks guys
        Looks like I should do some Sherlock Holmes work before getting out my tool-box. You've given me some useful ideas. Will feed back the results.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Mike,
          If it turns out to be your water pump that needs replacing, beware that there are 2 types. 1 with a fixed fan and other has a viscos fan.I got a new VECO p/no VF094 for a Viscos fan of a shop on ebay for a £10 a few months ago.

Comment

Hugh you were right! With a very small watering can, I sprinkled water on top of the belt in the vicinity of the alternator pulley. Lo and behold the squeak stopped! After a few hundred revs, the squeak came back. More water and the squeak went away.

So, I fitted the spare Pinto belt that I had in the boot, which didn't squeak but I came to realise was a fraction too long in circumference. Yes, you guessed it, the body of the alternator was now rubbing on the steering column!*$*&£&£&$*$&!!

So on the way home tonight, I'll be stopping at a small motorist discount shop that I have used for years, with the 2 belts in hand, looking to buy a belt that fits.

Cheers
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X