Sierra Berli: wheels, tyres and mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sierra Berli: wheels, tyres and mirrors

My car currently rons on 205 65 15" tyres fitted to Marlin (Compomotive)6.5" x15" rims. I rather think Brian Gadd and Jeremy Carrington are right with their 5.5"x 15" wheels..as my tyres are huge and stand proud of the arches (just). I want to go for a change (I have to have new tyres for the MOT anyway) but I'm not sure where to go ? Any thoughts? Our Editor's new wheels look super in the photos...what are they and where did they come from?
    Second query: I have one overtaking mirror..looks like a mini with a double mounting base: I need a pair of something to suit. Any ideas ?
    Bill

Re: Sierra Berli: wheels, tyres and mirrors

Hi Bill.

205 is wide - probably too wide for safe driving in the wet. Is that what you're thinking?

However, the 6.5" width is perfectly fine - what width were you thinking of going down to - 185/195?

What's the ride comfort like at the moment - are you happy with it or would you prefer it slightly smoother? If so, going up to 75 or 80 profiles should help. This will also raise the gearing slightly (5-10%ish) which should help relaxed cruising (of course, the speedo will be even further out...). It'll also raise the ground clearance - probably by around 1/2 inch? And it will fill the wheel arches a bit more!

IF it's the widths of the tyres that's causing them to stick out slightly beyond the arch, and going down to 185/195s will sort it, then find out what the offsets are on your current wheels - it'll be stamped on them somewhere, sometimes around the outside rim, but often on the inside of the wheel. Then you can look for similar-offset wheels if you like. But, your current wheel widths are fine if you wanted to stay with them.

Comment

Sorry, clumsy 2nd paragraph...

The 6.5" WHEEL width is fine, what TYRE width were you considering fitting?

Comment

Hi again (OOOH!, you thought to yourself - I've had 3 replies!!!)

This is an excellent site: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

On page 2, there are two sections that'll probably interest you: 'A Tyre Size Calculator' - this will tell you how much different sizes/profiles will affect the final drive gearing/speedo reading.

'An Ideal Rim-width Calculator' will show the max and min wheel widths for each width of tyre. For example, if you go for 195 width tyres, then your 6.5" wheels are actually a better choice than 5.5". It will also be ok if you go for 185s.

Anyways, enjoy the read!

Comment

Hi Bill, I fitted 185 x 15 x80, although you won't find the 80 bit marked on a tyre, because that dim. is considered as standard. Also,if you fit 185x 80 instead of 205x 70, I think that you will find that the rolling diameter is the same, so there is no need to alter your speedo. I found that the change to a narrower tyre was beneficial, the handling was markedly improved.plus it filled the wheel arches better, but they are not easy to find, you have to look for them. As to your mirrors, I went to Morgan Sports Cars, in Malvern, the mirror as fitted to all their cars , is a heavy chrome unit , which will flex in all directions and extend, and obviously complies to the letter of the law, and no questions asked when you turn up in the Marlin, however, I think the postman still goes there. regards Brian.

Comment

Thanks Donnie (for all three and especially the website) and Brian for such straight forward answers. I've decided to stay with the existing rims (they are Marlin / Compomotive and in fine fettle) and I've ordered 185 /80 15" tyres. There wasn't a lot of choice but the make... Vredestein...seems well thought of at the two local tyre companies I deal with.
            I'm still working on Mirrors!
            Bill

Comment

Good stuff, Bill.

I'm sure many on here will be very interested to hear how you get on with them (I certainly will!)

Can I ask how much they cost? What sort of vehicles are they designed for - 'road-going' 4x4's?

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Brian
                I am surprised that you thought you might get a re-action from Morgan Motors by turning up in a Marlin. I've been going in and out of there in mine for the last 6 years, the guys in the stores are always willing to help, and they do a parcel service.Some of the parts on my Roadster include, indicator, stop, front side lamps, ally fuel tank with internal fuel pump, hand brake cable, wipers and arms,and lots more. Afer all they have been building cars for almost 100 years 1909-2009, and thats why no matter what you drive or what parts you want they will help.
                Phil.

Comment

In answer to Donnies' question, the Vredestein tyres are from www.mytyres.co.uk and for 5, including delivery to my local tyre fitter and VAT the cost is/was £338. The local chap, The ET Centre are charging £15 a wheel to change them, all in including balancing and tracking. The best quote I got for "supply and fit" was £89 per tyre.
                  If you go to the above and "enter shop" then enter the size (185x80x15) you'll see it all.
                  I hope this is helpful!

Comment

Just caught up on this thread as I mailed Bill via my email on the wheel info but for others wanting to know about my particular wheels, this is what I sent to Bill:

"I got my wheels and tyres from Elite tyres in Rainham:http://www.elitedirect.com/

If you access the website there is an "Ask H" box on the bottom right hand side of the home page. Click on there and say you are a marlin owner and you know me and he will know what to do.

From my invoice, I had the following:

Hankook K702 tyres 185/80 R15
                    Minator wheels 6.0x15 4-108 20"

Cheers

Comment

I paid £41.99 per tyre +valve + balance - total for 2 was £93.18. Tyres are Uniroyal Rallye 550 195/65 x 15 and very pleased with grip etc,but then they couldn't be any worse than the abysmal Champino or somesuch they replaced!!

Comment

Vehicle is Cabrio not Berlinetta which may make a difference regards filling wheelarches, but still a great price.

Comment

Tyres are remarkably well priced at the 65 profile size. It's when you go 'high' that the price follows...

Comment

Working...
                          X