what do i realy need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i realy need?

First, I am sorry for my poor English, it’s not my native tongue.

I am doing a little research on building a Sportster in The Netherlands. I have printed the ordering list from the Marlin Internet site. You can order three stage kits containing the kit itself (I do not think you can do without it) and a list of “highly recommended optional extra’s” and a list of “additional optional extra’s”.

What I want to know is: what do I really need besides the kit itself? For instance: do I need a fuel tank ore is it supplied in the donor BMW 325. If I can use the donor tank its oké.

I am planning on going to Stoneleigh on 4 may, maybe there is someone who can help my whith the question above.

Re: what do i realy need?

Hi Frank,
    despite being called "optional extras" you will need to buy almost everything on the Marlin price list, eventually. The BMW fuel tank does not fit. There are a few exceptions where you only need one thing or another (for example a windscreen or Aero screens but not both). If I was in Holland, I would buy most parts from Marlin because buying them separately is difficult without making costly mistakes. Take a look at Patrick's or my build site in the Links section on this forum. We are both going to Stoneliegh with some other Sportster builders but not sure yet whether it will be the 4th or 5th of May? If we are there on the 4th we will be at the Marlin Owners area at midday. Maybe see you there?

Comment

Hi Frank,

As Peter has said there are lot of items that are not in the three kit stages (as I found out while building mine) For example ball joints and track rod ends are not part of the kit but you need them to put the front suspension together.

Radiators - go for the Marlin cross flow the BMW rad is not really up to the job when its warm outside as it was design for the 4 cylinder M10 engines.

I'm running a 2.8ltr M20 and the BMW rad is not good enough for that.

Brakes, go for a BMW master cylinder using the adapter plate that Marlin supply not the "marlin master cylinder" this is from a metro I think and you end up with a large hole that needs to be filled that causes a vacuum leak (M20's do not like vacuum leaks)

I'm sure there are other things. Feel free to email me if you have more questions or post them here (link on my website: www.msportster.co.uk)

I'll also be at Stoneleigh if it's not raining too much!

Thank you,

Patrick
      BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
      http://www.modelog.co.uk/
      http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

come along here in holland. We have one of the finest finished Marlin Sportsters Left Hand drive. See also www.kitcarcollection.com
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X