Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance

Hi,
    Currently saving for a Berlinetta, hoping to get one (wife permitting!) in July-ish. I was just wondering what kind of performance you'd get from the 2.0l versions in terms of mpg, 0-60 etc and also what they're like on long motorway journeys? Would you need to get an overdrive (Do they even exist?)?

Any input much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Performance

Hi Graham. I have a five speed box. Mine is Cortina based and is fairly worn. There are a few Sierra based which probably go better. Fuel - probably about 19 towing caravan 25 when not but others may do better.

Comment

Hi Graham

I have an 2.0 Pinto replacement that is 2 days old and so haven't had much of a chance to test out consumption yet but it seems better already. I am probably getting 28 mpg and could get 30+ if I drove carefully (and boringly). Mine is Cortina based and 5 speed. In terms of 0-60...I don't bother to count, it's not impressive!

Comment

Hi Graham.

The Berli is apparently billed as a 'Touring Car' rather than a Sports Car, but personally I think it's more the latter rather than the former - it's far more at home on twisting country roads than motorways.

It you are planning longish trips on straight fastish roads, then I'd suggest you look for a model that's been tweaked (or cost-in doing the mods yourself) as far as possible for this purpose, and these alterations should NOT compromise it's sporting character either. Basically, I think you should be looking to make the car as high-geared, quiet and comfy as possible.

GEARING: A 5-speed 'box is a 'must'. Then a fit the highest profile tyres you can! 75 and 80 profile tyres will give an extra 5-10% increase in final drive ratio over the usual 60's that are often fitted. This will also increase the road comfort of the car - let's face it, it's a choppy beast at the best of times. Yes, your speedo reading error will be increased, but it's unlikely it was spot-on in any case, so you just need to 'program' yourself to the true readings (or have your speedo calibrated).

NOISE: I'd suggest a 2-box exhaust system, exiting from the rear. Internal sound-proofing might also help, but you really want to avoid that cruising 'drone' that you can get from single-box systems, and especially side-exit exhausts.

COMFORT: You need good, supportive seats! The Marlin 'buckets' are ok on a twisting roads as you are always moving around in your seat! But I find my arris starts to become a tad numb after around 20-odd miles on A-roads...

Like the others above, I cannot really comment on 0-60 times, but I'd call the Berli 'nippy' rather than 'fast'! Fuel economy will fall away dramatically at higher speeds as the car is hardly what we'd call 'aerodynamic', hence the greater need for the highest possible gearing.

Comment

Fit 3.75 axle, 80 tyres and Type 9 gearbox. It will cruise forever but acceleration will suffer.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

My Berli has 205 cross-section tyres, and is marginally more comfortable going over speed-humps than my Nissan Primera. However, the ground-clearance under the single silencer is only around 3 inches, so I have to be fairly careful - some of those Sleeping Policeman are of wicked design! Exhaust noise is really entertaining, but only if right foot is pressed down more than 20mm!

My engine is a 2-litre Cortina with 5-speed box, and is fitted with a 3-litre Ford Granada carburettor and I think a fast-road camshaft (guess-work here) and 4-branch exhaust. Performance is quite exhilarating, and 70mph arrives very quickly! One has to remember that 0mph will not be achieved quite so readily, with old-technology servo-brakes, and NO ABS. 22mpg appears to be the penalty for all this entertainment. Need to avoid auto-choke mechanism, to make starting a bit more reliable. I converted mine - allows me to control things, not a bi-metallic spring.

Cabin heat can be a problem on longish trips, with feet-frying a penalty. Soon after I first got the car (assembled), having suffered previously in this area on a Lotus-7 lookalike, I bound up the 4-branch exhaust manifold with the special bandage, and covered parts of the bulkhead in the engine compartment with insulation. Also, I fitted on/off plumbing valves on the heater pipes, so that I can ensure that the heater is not allowing heat to bleed through when I don't want it. Things still get a bit hot - even with carpet on the floor, one can still feel heat coming through from the gearbox. Poor ventilation is another problem area with a hood on.

Not trying to put you off or anything. I enjoy my Berli, and is always the subject of conversation and people-watching - got an eye-catching paint&brass job to help this!

One final benefit, I can insure the Berli, my Nissan & my wife's car for less than the cost of the 2 regular cars before the kit-car came along. One of the insurance companies do a deal, where the Berli is the main car, and the others are bolted on to the policy. Can supply details if anyone is interested.
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
              My Berli's slowly rising from the ashes. Maybe ready to go in short while, weather & DVLC permitting. The insurance deal you have sounds interesting if you could post or send some details I would be very interested. Hope to see people at shows and my local meet; if I ever get it on the road again! Cheers
              [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for all the information above. It's all been very useful. Hopefully I'll get one soon!

Comment

My Berli managed her long trip to Scotland & back with caravan without mishap. Even managed to overtake Tim Hawkesworth's Hunter & caravan on M6 but it was downhill!!
                  Fuel economy about 20mph towing but did better on the runs probably nearer 28mpg. However it is all good fun and there is nothing quite like following other Marlins on a run through Glen Coe in glorious weather.

Comment

Working...
                  X