"To wing or not to wing, that is the question?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "To wing or not to wing, that is the question?"

Firstly an apology to old Will for the plagerism, secondly, a cry of Joy. The Berli is finally runable and just passed it's MOT today. For those who know it (Danny for one!); HUL 394K has risen from the ashes, after the previous owner had an unfortunate journey into a roadside ditch last year.
    Pretty much a new front end later, and a bit of fibreglassing and we are almost done.
    One little job remains, hence the question; which you will be glad to hear I am finaly getting to!
    The offside aluminium inner wing is less than happy, it did ressemble a crumpled cast off from "Scrap yard challenge". A lot of hammering later and its really only crudely filling the gap between the wing and the car body. So I need a new one, or .... I do without.
    The more I look at it I struggle to see what real purpose it serves. The light bar could be modified to attach to the radiator cowl and the bonnet catchs are easy to relocate. And looking from the front it must do a cracking job of scooping up air at speed and hence lightning the front end. And that can't be good.
    Granted the inner wings cover the cortina suspension up, but, by the same token, they also make it more inaccesable.
    So, anyone any experience of leaving these inner wings off?

Re: "To wing or not to wing, that is the question?"

Hi Pete

I know HUL 394K as she was an Essex girl before she became a Northern Lass and I know the previous two owners! I can't quite imagine a Berli without the inner wing. How about a pic so we can say yay or nay? I think you're right, it may be OK without but remember, the inner wing also supports the front of the car and from personal experience of a few nudges in the past, I would say you would be safer keeping it on just in case. Not that we want you stuffing her into a ditch up there. Once is enough!

I had holes punched through my inner wings once when I was being towed (a regular occurrence back then) and the tow mechanism flipped up and went through the wings. A car body repair guy did an invisible mend and you couldn't see the join. Maybe you could try a body shop and see if they can do a better job?

Comment

Glad to hear that you are almost there. I am almost certain that we have a new set of inner wings in club spares. Brian Gadd is on holiday at the moment try him when he comes back. Regards Danny.

Comment

Brian is back tomorrow the 17th
        Danny.

Comment

Hi Pete. I'm back from holiday as Danny says, and there are two sets of brand new unpainted inner wings for Berli. in my garage, and available to club members, so if you are interested give me a call , the numbers in the mag.

Comment

Hi Pete.

As Sue says, it's hard to imagine without actually seeing it! My suspicion is that it'll look 'odd'.

'Cycle' wings are a different matter - they can look great and completely alter the style of a car - but keeping the full flowing wings but without the inner sections...

'Could be wrong tho'!

Comment

Thanks for everones input guys, and girls! Ive decided to be conventional and have bought one of the clubs sets of spare wings. Just have to pick them up now, hopefully in the next week or two. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X