horn (hooter) push button modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn (hooter) push button modification

Has anyone had success in transferring the horn push from the end of the Cortina stalk to the centre of an after market steering wheel, like a Momo which has the facility/contacts already waiting there to use?
    If so, are you willing to share your secret!
    Neville

Re: horn (hooter) push button modification

Hi Neville.

I don;t know offhand - but should be able to check later - whether the Cortina horn switch goes to 'earth', or is on the fully-'live' side of the wiring.

If it's the former, then 'all' you'll require is a flat copper (or similar metal) ring which will sit inside the steering cowl immediately underneath the steering boss. Hopefully your steering boss has a spring contact coming out of it which will make constant contact with this ring as the wheel is turned. Pressing the horn push will then simply complete the contact to 'earth' which will be through the actual steering column itself.

If, however, the Cortina horn switch breaks the 'live' side of the wiring, then I guess you'll need two rings, one inside t'other, and 2 springs contacts. A LOT more tricky!

Comment

Hi again, Neville.

Just had a check of my Berli - the horn push switch is on the 'live' side of the horn, I'm afraid (ie: live from fusebox goes to switch, then other end of switch goes to horns which are earthed - possibly acting via relay?)

So, a simple SINGLE copper ring wouldn't work as far as I can see.

You could, I guess, rewire the horns so that they have a permanently 'live' feed, and then require earthing to work! (Funnily enough, the washers work like this - took me ages to work out the wiring for them...)

Obviously, this wouldn't be quite as 'safe' as the current setup, but hey...

Comment

Donnie,

A belated thanks for your ideas - I will give them a try, with the rewired horns "to live" as the favourite.

Comment

Working...
        X