Front Wishbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wishbone

I'm planning on aligning my front wheels this weekend and looking at the front suspension it looks as though the connection to the balljoint on the upper wishbone is deliberately offset (ie the wishbone is not symetrical).

I've taken a quick measurement of the caster angle and its 12 degrees! (no wonder the steering is a tad heavy!) and I'm therefore wondering if I have the top wishbones the wrong way around (ie LH on RH side). The wishbones currently have the balljoint offset to the rear which explains the large caster angle.

The build manual doesn't seem to mention the correct orientation of the top wishbones so I'm hoping someone out there will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Thanks

Simon

Re: Front Wishbone

Hi Simon

I have had a look at the wishbones on mine and using a set of calipers and a straight edge off the wishbone arms to approximate a measurement, the ball joint looks to be central, how much offset are you talking about.

I had not given thought to them being handed.

regards

John

Comment

I have just had a look at mine and agree with John that the ball joint appears to be central and that the top arm appears symetrical.I don't think the build manual says anything about the wishbone being side orientated. I will check tomorrow

Comment

I've been aligning the front wheels today and on closer inspection I think that the wishbones are in fact symetrical. I think the large caster angle gave the impression of the top ball joint being off set to the rear.

The excessive caster angle has been sorted by reducing each compression strut (which I'm using in place of the anti-roll bar) by approximately 10mm.

I'm now pleased to report that the caster/camber and toe have all been set and hopefully the car will now track straight without an excessive amount of self centering!

Thanks all for the reassurance that the wishbones are symetrical (which saved me the effort of swapping them over only to find out it would have made no difference!).

Regards

Simon

Comment

Working...
        X