Uprated brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uprated brakes

I have recently bought back the Roadster that I biult in 1986 on 1.3 marina. I fitted a 1800 fiat twin cam just brfore I sold it in 1991. I never got around to seeing to the brakes and now wish to upgrade them to cope with the power. Can anybody give me some advice. I have read many articles on the internet about princess 4 pot calipers etc. Does the ford conversion available from morris minor centres fit? Is there anything available for the rear? Would upgrading to the dual circuit from later cars help?
    Any advice welcome, especially from other fiat / lancia engined owners on all aspects of this engine / installation.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Uprated brakes

We have a Roadster with the 2l fiat engine and g/box. the biggest improvement in the brakes was to fit a servo that worked, as over the years the drop in performance was not taken notice of untill a MOT when I thought I was going to put my foot through the floor to try and get a pass( with a smile on my face)
    My biggest problem is twitchy steering. I've tried all sorts over the years but not much improvement. Any help??

Comment

Cheers Hugh. I will check the servo performance first before I do anything else. Will you be going to Exeter show as it would be good to exchange ideas!!?
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon, hope to go on the Sat. Look for LHT240P

Comment

Hugh

Twitchy steering ?

Tyre pressures can effect this. Our cars are much lighter than their donors and (in my case) fitted with wide tyres. I run my car with front 18 psi and rear 20 psi with 225/70 section tyres.

Assuming all ball joints, suspension mountings, bushes and steering rack are all OK, then first try tweaking the tracking. If this is OK then the next target is the castor setting. Adjusting this certainly has an "interesting" effect on my Berlinetta. If camber is excessive this can cause a bit of weaving when one side of the suspension is loaded up.

Check the body roll and suspension range. It may be a case of bump steer. uprated dampers could be a start here, or, a stronger anti-roll bar.

As an outside, does your car have the triumph rear end ?
          I had a Mk 1 GT6 that suffered from rear wheel steering when the spring bushes were not wonderful.

finally, is it possible that your car has a quick rack. At speed this can be a bit twitchy until you are used to it.

I hope that some of this helps although without knowing your actual set-up it is all a shot in the dark.

Good luck with the Marlin, I may make it to Exeter. I have an old red Berlinetta Q 706 XFW with either a black hard top or soft top. Beware, there may be an angry blonde in the pax seat.

See you there.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
          X