Wing Edging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Edging

I'm keen to hear about people's experiences of getting a Cabrio though the SVA and particularly with regards to the exterior projections. The reason for asking is that I have 'built up' the front edge of my wings with glass fibre to allow them to be rounded off (see link) but I'm now wonderings whether I need to add rubber edging along the sides too?

Any advice most gratefully received!

Thanks

Simon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio/2190168814/in/set-72157603830807646/

Re: Wing Edging

I had to put rubber strips along my wings to make the car wide enough to cover the wheels.
    I should have raised the suspension until the wheels were vertical.
    I have made the front on the front wings thicker with a bigger radius. The SVA never said anything about it so I guess it was OK.

Comment

I too had to glue rubber strip along my wing edges to comply with the minimum radius requirements. I also made what I called an eyebrow for the front - see image 001.
      If you have achieved 2.5mm radius all along these edges then it will pass SVA.
      Looking at your flicker photo's I have noticed some potential failure points on your build. Mainly, your front wishbones are of the older rectangle section and do not comply. There are also some sharp edges under the front wing which need to be covered - see image 002.
      Attached Files

Comment

As Peter says if your front suspebsion is the old square type it will fail on lack of radius.
        It sound like you have an early Kit.
        What is the Chassis No? ( on the Near side scuttle.
        I had a number of changes to make- too many to list here.
        Call me if you need more. 01352 77 11 83.
        I mad some shield so the the front suspension was not on show and thus not tested.
        Cheers
        Derek
        Attached Files

Comment

Derek/Peter - Thanks for the info and it sounds as though I need to buy some rubber edging strip! I guess it depends on how fussy the tester is as to whether you need to glue it on or not...?

My chassis no. is 9708 and I hadn't considered that the wishbone arms would be a problem - but I appreciate you pointing that out! I see that Woolies sell some rubber wider edging to go over a 12mm section which should work. Hopefully the ally covers I've made will be ok as they cover up most of the other front suspension bolts / 'sharp' edges.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

You could use some heater/cooling hose split down the middle and held with tie wraps each end. I found ordinary super glue sticks rubber really well, so you could even glue the slit back together and then Mr SVA can't argue that they are not permenantly fixed :-)

Comment

Working...
            X