Fiat twin cam clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat twin cam clutch

Can anyone help me with a clutch problem. The fiat engine uses a cable operated clutch which is a fairly easy conversion but the operation is extremely stiff. Has anyone had the same problem and overcome it or is this a feature of the beast as they say. It makes long journies rather hard work and spoils the driving enjoyment some what. Short of joining a gym to strengthen my left leg I am rather stumped. It would also appear to be damaging the bulk head with small tears appearing around the pedal box. Please help.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Fiat twin cam clutch

Hi Jon, I converted the operation to the Marina hydraulic system when I did the conversion. Still heavier than the Marina but works fine. Built up the casting on the g/box with plastic metal to the shape of the cylinder and held it in place with a strap screwed to the g/box webs.
    If your going to Exeter show you can have a look.
    Hugh.

Comment

Thanks for the info Hugh. I still have the master cylinder attached so will take a look at yours at Exeter. If I remember coorrectly though the marina clutch operation was a PUSH type and the Fiat is a pull on my gearbox so not sure how this will help. What gearbox do you have. Mine is an Arbarth close ratio job. Not sure exactly what car it came from.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

The Fiat 5 speed from a 132, pull with a cable but push with a hyd.cyl.
        Hugh

Comment

Jon, if you've an e-address I'll send you some pics of my slave cyl. arrangement.My G/box is the Fiat 5 speed but im sure the idea could be modified to suit.

Comment

Hugh,
            My email address is jc007d3622(at)blueyonder.co.uk
            I saw your car at Exeter but you were not around to talk to. Due to the weather, cold and wet, I decided that rolling around on the ground to have a look was a bad idea. You have made some great modifications to your car and I love the sidescreens. You have obviously spent a great deal of time and effort on your Marlin. I have just spent all day driving mine before I get it into the garage for a full rebuild over winter (tax runs out at end of November). I intend to do many modifications hence the many questions I have posted on the forum and would appreciate a fellow Fiat twin cam lover to swap ideas with.
            Did you consider an internal slave cylinder from a volvo / saab / vauxhall at all, as I am told that these are the best if you can design a mounting plate to make them fit well.
            The cheaper alternative is to modify the cable operation to give more leverage. Did you try this at all or did you go straight for the hydraulic option.

Comment

Working...
            X