Putting a V6 in a Cabrio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a V6 in a Cabrio

I am thinking of putting a 3 litre V6 engine (from a Capri) in my Cabrio which currently has a 2 litre pinto. Has anyone done this and what modifications will I need to make to enable it to fit? Are the engine mounts different? Can I use the same clutch and gearbox (type 9)? Will the exhausts get in the way of the steering column? Any advice welcomed.
    Thanks

Re: Putting a V6 in a Cabrio

Paul
    To my knowledge the 3 litre essex engine used a type 5 gearbox [4 speed] which had a 1" x23 spline input shaft which is same as type 9 so in theory clutch should fit. I would think you would have to swap the bellhousings and probably starter motor.Although the 3litre will provide a fair bit of torque it will only give about 30 bhp more which in my humble opinion is just not worth the effort, better to go for 2.9 cologne with injection or the 24 valve cossie which i know has been done in a Cabrio. You would also need a larger capacity radiator which ever route you went

Comment

Thanks. I did wonder whether it was worth all the hassle. I like the idea of the extra bottom end torque and I used to have a Roadster with the Triumph straight 6 - sounds so much nicer than 4 cylinders. Paul

Comment

Paul
        I've just completed a Cabrio build with a 2.9 V6 injection from a granada auto. Its a tight fit but worth the effort. Just a couple of points if you go down this route, you will need to source a smaller (in size not power)alternator, I also had to have a special bracket made to hold it and working out how to install the air intakes taxed the grey cells. If you do go this way please get in touch and I will send some photos to help.
        Barry

Comment

Thanks for that Barry. I'm considering all the options and am in no hurry to decide. Pictures would be great if you could send some.
          Cheers
          Paul

Comment

Hi Barry,
            I am building a Sportster with 2.9 from a Granada and would very much appreciate seeing how others have solved the problems. I would be delighted to receive copies of your photos at millie_marlin (at) hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,
            Another Paul

PS: No sniggering at my email address.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Barry.
              I forgot to give my email address for the pictures. It is [email protected] ...and to the other Paul who has sent in his photo...where is the steering column going to go?
              Paul from Reading

Comment

Thinking about Rover V8 now...see new thread.

Comment

Hi Paul,
                  Good question.

I was hoping to get a look at how others (Barry) have done it. I currently plan to put two UJ’s in and run it down just outside the chassis. This will involve cutting the Marlin Steering Extension Shaft and getting a spline cut into it.

Does anybody know where to get spline cut?

Another Paul.

Comment

Paul

If you liked the Triumph straight 6, how about a modern BMW 6. There are a couple of M20 motors and two more M50 engined Cabrios on the road.
                    I've opted for the M50 as it is silky smooth,has more low down torque than the M20, requiring less revs, yet delivers 190bhp in stock form.
                    Rgds
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X