X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVA fail...

...but only failed on a few minor points:

There were 3 areas where it didn't meet the 2.5mm radius requirements:

1. Under the passenger side dash (needs a simple cover or piece of carpet to shield the fuse boxes and battery isolator switch)

2. Side 'A-pillar' window runner (needs some small U section rubber strip adding to the inside / outside edges - the examiner recommended motorcycle fairing type)

3. Rear edge of bonnet (just around the cut-outs for the wipers)

I also need to put some spiral wrap around the battery negative cables and the slot in my arm rest for the handbrake lever needs lengthening slightly as it doesn't quite allow enough travel

The seat belt height was borderline but the examiner let it go as he reckons once the seats have had some wear (and the seat pad compressed) they will be ok.

I have to say it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting and the chap at the Birmingham SVA station was very fair, friendly and helpful regarding the slight modifications required.

So all in all not too bad and I have already booked my retest which will be in a couple of weeks time.

Fingers crossed !

Simon

Re: SVA fail...

Well done Simon,Look forward to meeting you and your car soon, and Good Luck with the retest.
    Regards
    Danny.

Comment

Well done Simon. Had you taken your car to Leighton Buzzard it would not have been failed on those 3 areas,it just goes to show what a farce this test is, ant it really is down to the individual examiners interpretation of the test manual.
      Anyway I have every confidence in you obtaining a pass and look forward to seeing your car finished (SVA fixes removed)

Peter

Comment

Well done Simon, I fully echo what Peter said, the whole SVA thing is a lottery. I have drilled and pinned the ball joint holder on mine because the Hull centre where it will be tested failed Bobs for it, no one else I know has been requested to to it.

The saving grace for you now is at least you have minimal work to put it all behind you. I hope to be following in your foot steps in the not too distant future. Inspired by your swift build I have been vitually living in the garage, wifes not too pleased but the cars looking good!.

Look forward to seeing the car in the flesh.

If you are trashing some of the edge trim etc.. you used to get yours through SVA let me know I would be happy to buy them from you for my SVA jaunt.

Regards

John

Comment

...and it has now passed!!

The re-test didn't take longer than a few minutes and passed with no problems at all. I'll put some photos of the SVA fixes on my website later on.

I've also redone my dash with some rigid carbon fibre sheet - much better & shinier than the previous attempt with flexible sheet (which had a certain 'wicker work' look to it in certain lights!).

The drive to and from the test station was great fun despite the brief halestorm! (I haven't fitted the hood yet) and the car is actually quite toasty with the heater on.

Now all I have to do it register the car... It seems crazy to me that you are allowed to drive the car to and from a pre-booked SVA test, yet you have to trailer the car to the DVLA for them to 'inspect' it?.

I'm also hoping that I can get an age related plate as even though the car has the BMW engine and gearbox the rest is Sierra.

Simon

Comment

Great news, well done!

Comment

Well done Simon. Hope to see the car at Stoneleigh in May

Comment

Hi Simon,
                Congratulations on your pass. It reminds me of the pleasure such a pass gives.

It is my understanding that you can drive to the DVLA. I was certainly told this at Portsmouth. If I was in the next county they send the police round and check your car in the comfort of your own garage.

I believe that any of these methods should be available to all of us. I want the DVLA to publish their procedures so that we can see what should happen and they could be consistent and adopt best practice throughout the country.
                Paul

Comment

Working...
                X