Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster windscreen replacement

Message originally posted by: Don Sayers
    My Roadster windscreen has been delaminating for some time now and today it has started cracking. I have a replacement already waiting. Does anyone have any experience of replacing a Roadster windscreen, whats the best method of removing the old one?

Re: Roadster windscreen replacement

I had a windscreen shatter last year and removal was immense fun...although probably easier than trying to take it out in 1 piece. A sharp knife, a bent screwdriver and copious amounts of patience did the trick on removing the old sealer and embedded glass fragments, while some string and a few clothes pegs held the new one in place while I sealed it in. Don't think there is an easy way - just care and time. Try and cut out as much sealer as possible and see if you can free it that way...failing which break the glass!
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Something that might make things easier for you is a product you can get for "eating" sealer. It basically breaks it down making it much easier to remove. Screwfix can supply http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=67953&id=18504
      It is harmless to most other materials but check for fibreglass and paint before you get too carried away.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Adrian Bull
        I am just in the throws of doing the same and have been told that if you use thin clear plastic piping such as used when decanting wine from a demi-jon. Cut it into 1" lengths, split and put around 3 at the top and two down either side. This will hold the screen when sealing. On another note can anyone tell me where to source another windscreen???

Comment

Message originally posted by: Adrian Bull
          I am just in the throws of doing the same and have been told that if you use thin clear plastic piping such as used when decanting wine from a demi-jon. Cut it into 1" lengths, split and put around 3 at the top and two down either side. This will hold the screen when sealing. On another note can anyone tell me where to source another windscreen???

Comment

When I bust a screen a few years ago I took a template down to the local glass shop and got one cut in laminate there and then. I think it cost about ?40, not hugely expensive whatever it was...

Comment

Working...
            X