Windscreen Wipers Park Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Wipers Park Position

Well I've nearly got the Cabrio ready for SVA. Just a few minor jobs I hope to do over the holidays, but one that has caused me to scratch my head is the park postion of the wipers.
    I failed to spot the simple line "the park postion may need adjusting" in the build manual, so now they park at an angle of about 30deg. up the windscreen.
    I assume that I need to take the wiper motor off and move the postion of something inside to make it stop in a different postion. It isn't covered in the Hayne's manual (well would you expect it to be useful?)
    So any advice would be gratefully recieved.
    Oh, and Merry Christmas to you all

Re: Windscreen Wipers Park Position

Hi Chris,

My wiper arms are on a spline connection. Adjusting the arm position is simply a matter of loosening off the nut, pulling the wiper arm off the spline and then retightening the nut with the arm in the desired position. I think the statement in the manual is just to make you aware that you need to let the wiper motor find its parked position before putting on the wiper arms. I didn't need to adjust anything within the wiper motor assembly itself.

Hope this helps and good luck with the SVA

Simon

Comment

Thanks for the reply Simon. However the arms stop at about 30 deg up the windscreen, but the arc continues to the bottom of the screen when continiously wiping. So when you switch off the wipers they go down to the edge of the screen then come up a bit before stopping.
      I assume there is some kind of contact or micro-switch inside the wiper motor that maintains the power until the motor is in the park postion.

Comment

Hi Chris, which motor are you using and are you using the origional wiper switch that was used with the motor?

Comment

The motor came out of a Serria on a G plate, and I'm using the original switches with a Premier Wrings loom.

Comment

Hi Chris,
            The motor park position is determined by a contact inside the motor housing. When the wiper switch is in the park position power is supplied through this contact to the motor. The motor continues to run until the contact reaches the end of a circular track and breaks the circuit.

I think that the crank arm on wiper drive is out of step with the park position. If it is a Ford wiper motor the crank is held in position by a nut to a tapered spline. You can easily fix this by parking the motor and repositioning the crank to point towards the wiper spindles for parking pointing towards the left. The main difficulty is almost certainly accessing the wiper motor.

Hope this helps,
            Paul

Comment

Hi Chris. To save bending things and straining the motor if you get things wrong remove the wiper arms and replace with dummy ones using a couple of cocktail sticks held on the spindles with a blob of blue tack. Easy to experiment with wipe and park positions before you replace the arms.

Useful tool for removing really tight arms from the splines supplied by Frost Auto Restoration http://auto.frost.co.uk/search?w=wiper+spindle+remover Product Code M990 Product Name Wiper Arm Remover Price £10.77 inc VAT. Cheaper than replacing a damaged spindle assy! Peter.

Comment

Simon was exactly correct. It is just a matter of undoing the nut in the centre of the wiper motor and moving the arm to the correct position, I hadn't got around to doing it until Saturday because the weather has been foul at the weekends and I've got a cramped single garage.
                Make a note however to route your wires for the dashboard along way from the wiper mechanism, and don't tie-wrap them to it by mistake!

Comment

Working...
                X