V8 conversion brake changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 conversion brake changes

I am fitting a metro sevo and brake master cylinder whilst converting from a Ford Pinto to Rover V8 engine in my Cabrio, as the old sierra servo obstructs the V8. The metro master cylinder has only two outlets, one for the rear and one for the front brakes. The Sierra cylinder had 3 outlets with two separate pipes for the front brakes. I will either need to fit a T - piece to the front brake pipe from the cylinder or use a pressure reducing valve,as was fitted to the Rover SD1. Has anyone tried either of these options? Also, are there any problems in using a Rover master cylinder with Ford brake calipers?

Re: V8 conversion brake changes

Yes Paul you will have a long travel on your pedal.
    Best to use a Ford master cylinder.

Comment

Hi Paul
      If you use a Mk 4 Cortina Servo it should fit the 3 port Sierra Master cylinder.
      I got a rebuilt Servo from a place in Rochdale.
      Cheers
      Derek

Comment

Derek
        Can you provide details of your supplier in Rochdale, please? Also what is the diameter of the Cortina servo?
        Do you know which make of Sierra master cylinder fits the Cortina as I am aware there are at least two completely different flanges on the Sierra?(I learned the expensive way!)
        Many thanks for the info.
        Regards
        mike

Comment

Hi Paul. Just as a memory jogger, have a look at my reply 25th Nov to your post "Putting a Rover V8 in a Cabrio" and your query about which servo to use. I mention some things about master cylinders there ;-)Peter.

Comment

just received a new master cylinder from Marlin that fits the metro servo and has 3 outlets for the brake pipes, just like the old sierra one. Problem solved (I hope!).
            Next question is where to mount the alternator and what bracket to use. I have the old Sierra alternator but no mounting on my Rover V8 engine yet.
            Paul
            Paul

Comment

Hi Paul. Glad to hear that you are still chipping away at the project!
              I seem to remember from your earlier post that your V8 is a 3.5. Mine is a 3.9i and has the serpentine belt. I have attached a couple of photos of my alternator mounting. It is a substantial aluminium alloy casting and incorporates the mounting for the belt tensioner. Maybe the 3.5 has a similar bracket that you could source / adapt / copy? Hope this helps. Peter
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul again! Search Google Images with the words "Rover V8 Alternator bracket". It shows several alternator mountings, one on what looks like a 3.5 engine. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter. Yes, I a chipping away still. Marlin are making up exhausts for me, radiator being made locally and will be reaching the point where I put it all together in a few weeks. Thanks for the photos and i will look on google too. Cheers. Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, Marlin will also do you a bracket, I am sure With the 3500 it sits on the other side.
                    Danny.

Comment

Hi. Made some progress over the Easter holidays and now have steering nearly sorted, exhausts, radiator and alternator mounting made up. I cut a new hole in the bulkhead for the end of the steering column to poke through and lowered the steering coulumn mounting under the dashboard slightly, and angled it slightly to one side, so that the end of the column didn't foul the new exhaust manifold. It hardly seems to notice from inside the car and feels solid. The link from the end of the column to the steering rack needed to be lenghtened by an inch and my local garage have done that for me. Still not ready to start her up but getting there. Hope to be at Stoneleigh in a couple of weeks but in a Mondeo I'm afraid. Now to get rid of old engine and gearbox and recoup some of the money I've spent!! Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X